FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The No. 52 BYU men’s tennis team routed the Air Force Falcons, 7-0, Thursday at the Air Force Academy Indoor Tennis Courts.
The Cougars (6-5), who were coming off a 7-0 sweep over Nevada, are now on a three game winning streak after their victory over the Falcons (5-5).
No. 50 Georgy Batrakov, playing at the No. 1 singles position for BYU, topped Lance Wilhelm 7-6, 6-3.
Sophomore Patrick Kawka won his sixth straight match as he took a 6-2, 6-2 decision over his Court 2 opponent, Andy Jackson.
Junior Spencer Smith held Landon Kinsey to two sets as he topped Kinsey, 6-4, 6-4, on Court 3.
BYU only dropped one set in the win, coming on Court 4. Despite being pushed to three sets, freshman Keaton Cullimore overcame Alex Grubbs, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.
Playing on Court 5, freshman Francis Sargeant held his opponent to two games in his 6-1, 6-1 victory over Alex Lineberry.
Senior Michael Eraso completed the sweep with a 6-2, 6-3 win on Court 6 against Steven Young.
The Cougars took all three doubles matches against the Falcons. The No. 1 doubles duo of Batrakov and Kawka jumped out quick on Wilhelm and Grant Taylor, 8-3.
Sargeant and Smith, playing on Court 2, and Cullimore and Eraso, on Court 3, edged out their respective opponents, 9-8.
BYU continues its stay in Colorado as it takes on Denver Saturday at the Stapleton Tennis Pavilion at 5:30 p.m.
No. 52 BYU, 7 Air Force 0
Singles: 1. No. 50 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Lance Wilhelm (AF), 7-6, 6-3 2. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Andy Jackson (AF), 6-2, 6-2 3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Landon Kinsey (AF), 6-4, 6-4 4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Alex Grubbs (AF), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 5. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Alex Lineberry (AF), 6-1, 6-1 6. Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Steven Young (AF), 6-2, 6-3
Doubles: 1. Georgy Batrakov/Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Lance Wilhelm/Grant Taylor (AF), 8-3 2. Francis Sargeant/Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Andy Jackson/Alex Grubbs(AF), 9-8 3. Keaton Cullimore/Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Ali Rizvi/Joey Brant(AF), 9-8 (4)
Whitney Weekes works in BYU Athletic Communications as the tennis sports information director. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 14
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 7