MORAGA, Calif. – Pitchers Mark Anderson and Mason Marshall gave St. Mary’s College its first season loss in a 4-1 victory Friday to give BYU its first league win.
The Cougar win was the first-ever in the West Coast Conference as Anderson picked up his second win and Marshall his second save to improve BYU’s record to 3-2, while the Gaels are 5-1.
Anderson exited in the seventh inning.
“I was reluctant to come out of the game,” he said. “But I can always count on Mason to slam the door. It’s a graveyard out there in the outfield.”
That BYU outfield came up big in the third inning when Stephen Wells robbed Patrick Wisdom of a potential two-out, two-run smash with a catch in deep left-centerfield. SMC’s Kyle Barraclough, who struck out nine, was tossing a no-hitter into the sixth with a 1-0 lead.
In the sixth, BYU chased Barraclough off the mound when it came up with back-to-back hits, the first by Jaycob Brugman, to advance Stephen Wells to third.
“We were fortunate to get a leadoff walk and got a hit and run with Brugman,” said BYU coach Vance Law. “He executed perfectly and Wells made a nice turn at second to get to third, then Brock (Whitney) came through with the big double.”
Whitney’s two-run double was the game-winning RBI, giving BYU a 2-1 lead. The Cougars added a pair of runs in the seventh to provide the three-run cushion when Anderson left the game with six strikeouts. Enter Marshall in relief, who struck out a Gael with the bases loaded to end the seventh.
“He is worth the price of admission just to watch when he is on the mound,” said Law. “Opponents think they are going to get to this guy because he is short.”
Marshall, who is 5-10, pitched the final two-and-a-third innings, surrendering a pair of hits and striking out three.
The two teams, both 1-1 in the WCC, finish the three-game series on Saturday at 2 p.m., PST, in a game broadcast live on AM Radio 960 locally.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for more than 30 years. View his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20