PARK CITY, Utah — Still basking in the light of her recent Grammy nomination, violinist Jenny Oaks Baker recently stopped by Weilenmann School of Discovery in Park City, Utah, to share her talents with young aspiring musicians.
She came, flanked by her five-piece chamber ensemble, to first hold a master class for upper-grade music students, including violinists, violists, cellists, bassists and other band members.
"They learned that more possibilities exist on their instruments than they realized," said Devon Colby, Weilenmann's music director, in a press release. "She interacted with every child in the class, reinforcing technique, position and tone production. Students were simply enchanted by her."
Colby paid for the expenses to have Baker come to the school.
After the class, Baker held an open rehearsal with the students for a performance later that day of her latest CD, "Wish Upon a Star: a Tribute to the Music of Walt Disney." Baker changed into a princess gown for the afternoon performance of "Twinkle Theme" with her orchestra and students of the school. She then performed selections from "Wish Upon a Star."
"The kids were enthusiastic in their excitement," said Nicole Pinnell, cellist in Baker's performing group, in an email. "They listened with smiles on their faces, and applauded after every tune she would announce and one would exclaim, 'That's my favorite.'"
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Photos: Fall colors over Guardsman Pass
- Photos: Elton John brings 'All The Hits' to Utah
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- The latest ‘Godzilla’ reboot...
- ‘Big Bang Theory,’...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your... 1