#33 Leo Roese, Jr., Guard (6.9 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.5 spg)
#14 Riley Corbin, So., Guard (6.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 55.9 ppg (10th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 52.1 ppg (10th in 4A)
Last state championship: 2010
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Bountiful in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Was upset by Bountiful in the first round last year, but it would hardly be an upset to see it happen again this year. With just one senior key contributor, the T-Birds have struggled with consistency throughout the year. It hasn’t won back-to-back games since early January. An overtime win over Provo in the regular season finale, however, does give Timpview a glimmer of hope.
Woods Cross Wildcats (15-6)
Coach: Todd Street
How qualified: Finished in a three-way tie for second in Region 6 with a 6-4 record. After a three-way coin flip, East earned No. 2 seed, followed by Highland and then Woods Cross.
Playoff opener: vs. Mountain View, Friday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 52-37 win against Olympus on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 59-57 (OT) win at Highland on Feb. 10.
#23 Brady Cowley, Jr., Guard (11.1 ppg)
#11 Skyler Farnes, Jr., Forward (10.2 ppg)
#25 Hayden Grant, Jr., Guard (9.1 ppg)
#30 Filipo Mokofisi, Jr., Forward (7.6 ppg)
#24 Mike Jacobson, Jr., Guard (5.9 ppg)
Scoring offense: 56.3 ppg (8th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 54.5 ppg (18th in 4A)
Last state championship: 1983
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Orem in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Woods Cross’ two games with Highland is a microcosm of their entire season. In the first game it lost by 39 points, but in the second game it won in overtime. Those games are proof that the Wildcats can compete with most teams in 4A, but proof as well that they can get run out of a building. Assuming they win their play-in game, the Wildcats will find out just how good they are in the first round against No. 1 Orem.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- Morning links: Whittingham's stock is up,...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- BYU football notebook: Return of Travis...
- Dick Harmon: Too soon for BYU's Taysom Hill...
- Runnin' Utes get commitment from top prospect...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part... 101
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 41
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 40
- Morning links: Whittingham's stock is... 40
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 36
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 34
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 34