#33 Leo Roese, Jr., Guard (6.9 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.5 spg)
#14 Riley Corbin, So., Guard (6.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 55.9 ppg (10th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 52.1 ppg (10th in 4A)
Last state championship: 2010
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Bountiful in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Was upset by Bountiful in the first round last year, but it would hardly be an upset to see it happen again this year. With just one senior key contributor, the T-Birds have struggled with consistency throughout the year. It hasn’t won back-to-back games since early January. An overtime win over Provo in the regular season finale, however, does give Timpview a glimmer of hope.
Woods Cross Wildcats (15-6)
Coach: Todd Street
How qualified: Finished in a three-way tie for second in Region 6 with a 6-4 record. After a three-way coin flip, East earned No. 2 seed, followed by Highland and then Woods Cross.
Playoff opener: vs. Mountain View, Friday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 52-37 win against Olympus on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 59-57 (OT) win at Highland on Feb. 10.
#23 Brady Cowley, Jr., Guard (11.1 ppg)
#11 Skyler Farnes, Jr., Forward (10.2 ppg)
#25 Hayden Grant, Jr., Guard (9.1 ppg)
#30 Filipo Mokofisi, Jr., Forward (7.6 ppg)
#24 Mike Jacobson, Jr., Guard (5.9 ppg)
Scoring offense: 56.3 ppg (8th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 54.5 ppg (18th in 4A)
Last state championship: 1983
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Orem in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Woods Cross’ two games with Highland is a microcosm of their entire season. In the first game it lost by 39 points, but in the second game it won in overtime. Those games are proof that the Wildcats can compete with most teams in 4A, but proof as well that they can get run out of a building. Assuming they win their play-in game, the Wildcats will find out just how good they are in the first round against No. 1 Orem.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Free agent roundup: 15 locals from BYU, Utah,...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- High school track: Orem boys, Millard girls...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September schedule:...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 165
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 80
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 43
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 34
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32
- Free agent roundup: 15 locals from BYU,... 32