Mountain Crest Mustangs (13-7)
Coach: Braydon Buchmiller
How qualified: Finished in a first-place tie in Region 5 with Sky View and Logan at 7-3, but after the region tiebreaker procedure it heads into playoffs as No. 1 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Hillcrest, Monday, 11:10 a.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 55-49 win against Weber on Dec. 16
Best region victory: A 48-35 win at Sky View on Feb. 22.
#0 Tyler Crosbie, Jr., Guard (14.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.4 apg, 4.2 spg)
#10 Famafili Laulu Pututau, Jr., Forward (13.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.0 spg)
#23 Justin Petersen, Sr., Guard (7.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg)
#5 Eddy Hall, Jr., Guard (6.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.4 spg)
#21 Cody Perkes, Sr., Guard (3.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.6 spg)
Scoring offense: 53.5 ppg (12th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 48.3 ppg (5th in 4A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Bountiful in championship.
Edward’s evaluation: Of the past four years this program has alternated been a deep run in the playoffs and then a first-round exit. It’s time in the rotation for another deep run. This team flew under the radar a bit after three early preseason losses and then three early losses in region. However, the younger Mustangs seem to have figured things out and they head into the playoffs on a five-game winning streak and into a favorable bracket.
Mountain View Bruins (9-12)
Coach: Andrew Blanchard
How qualified: Finished fifth in Region 8 with a 6-8 record.
Playoff opener: at Woods Cross, Friday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 54-53 win against Kearns on Dec. 29.
Best region victory: A 46-39 win against Timpview on Jan. 6.
#32 Brenden Abbott, Sr., Forward (13.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.4 spg)
#3 Kalin Curran, Jr., Guard (13.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 spg)
#21 Dylan Young, Sr., Center (8.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.7 spg)
#2 Jantzen Adams, Sr., Guard (6.1 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.1 spg)
#5 Austin Kocherhans, Jr., Forward (2.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 49.2 ppg (22nd in 4A)
Scoring defense: 53.1 ppg (14th in 4A)
Last state championship: 1999 (5A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Woods Cross in play-in game.
Edward’s evaluation: The Bruins didn’t beat any of the other four Region 8 playoff teams this year, and will have a hard time winning at a quality Woods Cross team tonight.
Olympus Titans (15-6)
Coach: Matt Barnes
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37