Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Olympus in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Momentum from Wednesday’s big win over Roy should carry the Bees into the 4A playoffs, but after that it will likely be a quick exit against rested Region 7 champion Olympus.
Bountiful Braves (18-2)
Coach: Mike Maxwell
How qualified: Finished first in Region 6 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Timpview, Monday, 7:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 57-42 win against Northridge on Nov. 22.
Best region victory: A 47-27 win at Highland on Jan. 31.
#31 Brock Yates, Sr., Center (13.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
#10 Brit Harding, Sr., Guard (12.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.3 spg)
#21 Dain Murdock, Sr., Guard (8.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.0 spg)
#11/5 Sam Merrill, So., Guard (6.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.2 spg)
#1 Zach Seljaas, Fr., Guard (5.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 59.0 ppg (5th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 44.2 ppg (1st in 4A)
Last state championship: 1997 (5A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over Mountain Crest in championship.
Edward’s evaluation: Outside of two blips on the radar, Bountiful has clearly been the second best team in 4A this year. It heads into the playoffs on a 12-game winning streak, and defensively it seems to be getting better and better each week. The Braves are athletic and long at nearly every position, and this bunch unheralded players with virtually no tournament experience might be the group that finally stops the school’s 14-year title drought.
East Leopards (12-9)
Coach: Skip Lowe
How qualified: Finished in a three-way tie for second in Region 6 with a 6-4 record. After a three-way coin flip, East earned No. 2 seed, followed by Highland and then Woods Cross.
Playoff opener: vs. Springville, Monday, 2:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 58-47 win at Herriman on Jan. 3.
Best region victory: A 74-69 (OT) win at Highland on Jan. 27.
#5 Parker Van Dyke, Jr., Guard (24.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.5 spg)
#50 Arik Mawien, Sr., Center (9.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
#24 Rique Regalado, Sr., Guard (5.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.6 spg)
#23 John Fakahafua, Jr., Forward (5.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.1 spg)
#2 Liti Molisi, Sr., Guard (4.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.2 ppg (6th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 56.5 ppg (20th in 4A)
Last state championship: 1981
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Springville in first round.
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Twitter reacts to David Collette vs. Utah State
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35