Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Olympus in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Momentum from Wednesday’s big win over Roy should carry the Bees into the 4A playoffs, but after that it will likely be a quick exit against rested Region 7 champion Olympus.
Bountiful Braves (18-2)
Coach: Mike Maxwell
How qualified: Finished first in Region 6 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Timpview, Monday, 7:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 57-42 win against Northridge on Nov. 22.
Best region victory: A 47-27 win at Highland on Jan. 31.
#31 Brock Yates, Sr., Center (13.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
#10 Brit Harding, Sr., Guard (12.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.3 spg)
#21 Dain Murdock, Sr., Guard (8.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.0 spg)
#11/5 Sam Merrill, So., Guard (6.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.2 spg)
#1 Zach Seljaas, Fr., Guard (5.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 59.0 ppg (5th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 44.2 ppg (1st in 4A)
Last state championship: 1997 (5A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over Mountain Crest in championship.
Edward’s evaluation: Outside of two blips on the radar, Bountiful has clearly been the second best team in 4A this year. It heads into the playoffs on a 12-game winning streak, and defensively it seems to be getting better and better each week. The Braves are athletic and long at nearly every position, and this bunch unheralded players with virtually no tournament experience might be the group that finally stops the school’s 14-year title drought.
East Leopards (12-9)
Coach: Skip Lowe
How qualified: Finished in a three-way tie for second in Region 6 with a 6-4 record. After a three-way coin flip, East earned No. 2 seed, followed by Highland and then Woods Cross.
Playoff opener: vs. Springville, Monday, 2:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 58-47 win at Herriman on Jan. 3.
Best region victory: A 74-69 (OT) win at Highland on Jan. 27.
#5 Parker Van Dyke, Jr., Guard (24.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.5 spg)
#50 Arik Mawien, Sr., Center (9.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
#24 Rique Regalado, Sr., Guard (5.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.6 spg)
#23 John Fakahafua, Jr., Forward (5.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.1 spg)
#2 Liti Molisi, Sr., Guard (4.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.2 ppg (6th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 56.5 ppg (20th in 4A)
Last state championship: 1981
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Springville in first round.
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Former Utah cornerback Dominque Hatfield...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 15
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 15