Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Olympus in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Momentum from Wednesday’s big win over Roy should carry the Bees into the 4A playoffs, but after that it will likely be a quick exit against rested Region 7 champion Olympus.
Bountiful Braves (18-2)
Coach: Mike Maxwell
How qualified: Finished first in Region 6 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Timpview, Monday, 7:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 57-42 win against Northridge on Nov. 22.
Best region victory: A 47-27 win at Highland on Jan. 31.
#31 Brock Yates, Sr., Center (13.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
#10 Brit Harding, Sr., Guard (12.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.3 spg)
#21 Dain Murdock, Sr., Guard (8.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.0 spg)
#11/5 Sam Merrill, So., Guard (6.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.2 spg)
#1 Zach Seljaas, Fr., Guard (5.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 59.0 ppg (5th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 44.2 ppg (1st in 4A)
Last state championship: 1997 (5A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over Mountain Crest in championship.
Edward’s evaluation: Outside of two blips on the radar, Bountiful has clearly been the second best team in 4A this year. It heads into the playoffs on a 12-game winning streak, and defensively it seems to be getting better and better each week. The Braves are athletic and long at nearly every position, and this bunch unheralded players with virtually no tournament experience might be the group that finally stops the school’s 14-year title drought.
East Leopards (12-9)
Coach: Skip Lowe
How qualified: Finished in a three-way tie for second in Region 6 with a 6-4 record. After a three-way coin flip, East earned No. 2 seed, followed by Highland and then Woods Cross.
Playoff opener: vs. Springville, Monday, 2:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 58-47 win at Herriman on Jan. 3.
Best region victory: A 74-69 (OT) win at Highland on Jan. 27.
#5 Parker Van Dyke, Jr., Guard (24.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.5 spg)
#50 Arik Mawien, Sr., Center (9.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
#24 Rique Regalado, Sr., Guard (5.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.6 spg)
#23 John Fakahafua, Jr., Forward (5.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.1 spg)
#2 Liti Molisi, Sr., Guard (4.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.2 ppg (6th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 56.5 ppg (20th in 4A)
Last state championship: 1981
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Springville in first round.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 126
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 70
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 69
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 59
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 31