Nathan Grill/UVU Athletics
OREM — All five starters reached double figures as Utah Valley University ran its school-record win streak to 12 games — the fourth longest current streak in the nation — in a 75-56 win over Houston Baptist University on Thursday night in the UCCU Center.
With the win, the Wolverines (19-10, 8-0) clinched at least a share of the Great West Conference title. On Saturday night, UVU will host second-place Texas-Pan American with a chance to win its second consecutive regular-season outright crown.
In Thursday's win, Utah Valley matched a school record with 11 blocks, including four from Keith Thompson and three from Zach Jones, both career highs. The Wolverines outrebounded the Huskies (9-18, 2-6) 47-32 with five players collecting at least seven rebounds, led by Geddes Robinson's eight.
Isiah Williams had 15 points to lead Utah Valley, Holton Hunsaker and Keith Thompson added 14, Ben Aird chipped in 13 and Alfonzo Hubbard scored 12. Hunsaker dished out nine of the team's 17 assists and grabbed seven boards, both matching career highs.
"I certainly didn't know how we'd react during the 10-day break in the schedule," said coach Dick Hunsaker of UVU's first game since Feb. 13. "I thought we did come out and worked hard and defended. They're (HBU) a scrappy team, but overall I was pleased with the way we competed."
After HBU scored the first five points of the game, the Wolverines scored 21 of the game's next 25 points to take a 12-point lead seven minutes in. The Wolverines converted on 8-of-11 field-goal attempts during the run and maintained the double-digit advantage for the rest of the half, carrying a 36-25 lead into the break.
Leading by 11 midway through the second half, a quick 8-0 spurt helped Utah Valley pull away. The run was capped by a pair of transition buckets; a Hubbard dunk on a down-court pass from Aird and a Thompson layup from Hunsaker.
Saturday's game against UTPA is Senior Night and the final home game for Utah Valley. The five Wolverine seniors; Rory Fannon, Robinson, Thompson, Kevin Woods and Williams will be honored prior to the game.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 142
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 32
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16