Jed Conklin, AP
SPOKANE, Wash. — The Cougars battled until the end before losing 74-63 to Gonzaga. Grades are in for every position group and for the team overall.
Noah Hartsock gave it a go with his knee injury, but proved to be ineffective before being pulled early. The Cougars struggled without his normal contributions on both ends of the court.
Brandon Davies had a rough start, but finished strong — clearly outplaying Bulldog big-man Robert Sacre on both ends of the court. He finished with 23 points and 10 rebounds, coming alive during the second half.
Nate Austin finished with just four points, but hauled in eight rebounds off the bench in another solid performance.
Josh Sharp saw some added minutes due to Hartsock's limited play, and contributed some good low-post defense. Grade: B
Charles Abouo finished the first half strong before disappearing for most of the second half. He provided some good defense and collected ten rebounds, but finished with just ten points on 4-13 shooting from the field.
Anson Winder found himself in early foul trouble and was never able to find his game. He did hit a couple of baskets late to finish with five points.
The Cougars saw scant production from the bench as Brock Zylstra, DaMarcus Harrison and Stephen Rogers couldn't convert a single point. Rogers deserves some credit for giving it a go after being saddled with injury, but overall it was a poor effort from wings off the bench. Grade: C-
Matt Carlino was very active throughout the game and hit some good shots from the perimeter, but did his best work when driving to the basket. He also made some freshman mistakes on both ends of the court. He finished with 18 points on 7-23 shooting with three assists.
Craig Cusick had some open opportunities from behind the arc, but connected on just one of five attempts, finishing with three points. Grade: C+
BYU was hurt by Noah Hartsock being unable to go for most of the game, but still battled. Instead of packing it in when they got down by 17 midway through the second-half, BYU made a run and was able to cut the lead to seven with four minutes remaining.
Missed open shots in the first half and untimely mental mistakes in the second ultimately did BYU in, however. Grade: B-
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 88
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20