Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The widow of a slain Ogden police officer reportedly first learned of a legislative tribute to her late husband and five other officers wounded in a shoot-out in Ogden on a Facebook page after the event had concluded.
The maker of the Facebook memorial page to Jared Francom, in an email to the Deseret News, wrote that Erin Francom was unaware of the event.
Erin Francom contacted legislative leaders of by email Thursday letting them know she had not received an invitation to the event. Senate leaders described the email as "professional and polite."
"It was just an oversight. It was accident. It wasn't done with any ill intent or anything like that," she said.
House Majority Leader Brad Dee, R-Ogden, said Thursday that he invited Francom’s wife to the ceremonies. He also spoke to her at a governor’s reception for the officers and families last month. He said it was his understanding that she would be out of town on Wednesday.
Dee and Senate Majority Leader Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City, sponsored the resolution to honor the officers. Jenkins, whose Senate district includes the residences of four of the six officers shot at while serving a drug warrant on Jan. 4, expressed regret.
"I'm shocked," Jenkins said.
Jenkins said he would contact Erin Francom personally to make amends. Erin Francom confirmed that Jenkins had telephoned her Thursday afternoon.
Members of Francom's birth family, including his parents, attended the ceremony.
Francom, 30, was killed and five other officers were injured during the marijuana drug raid. The injured officers included Ogden officers Kasey Burrell, Shawn Grogan and Michael Rounkles. Also injured were Roy officer Jason VanderWarf and Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson.
Members of the Francom family were in attendance, as were four of the five injured officers. Burrell was unable to take part.
Francom is also survived by two daughters.
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 71
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 32
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19