Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The widow of a slain Ogden police officer reportedly first learned of a legislative tribute to her late husband and five other officers wounded in a shoot-out in Ogden on a Facebook page after the event had concluded.
The maker of the Facebook memorial page to Jared Francom, in an email to the Deseret News, wrote that Erin Francom was unaware of the event.
Erin Francom contacted legislative leaders of by email Thursday letting them know she had not received an invitation to the event. Senate leaders described the email as "professional and polite."
"It was just an oversight. It was accident. It wasn't done with any ill intent or anything like that," she said.
House Majority Leader Brad Dee, R-Ogden, said Thursday that he invited Francom’s wife to the ceremonies. He also spoke to her at a governor’s reception for the officers and families last month. He said it was his understanding that she would be out of town on Wednesday.
Dee and Senate Majority Leader Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City, sponsored the resolution to honor the officers. Jenkins, whose Senate district includes the residences of four of the six officers shot at while serving a drug warrant on Jan. 4, expressed regret.
"I'm shocked," Jenkins said.
Jenkins said he would contact Erin Francom personally to make amends. Erin Francom confirmed that Jenkins had telephoned her Thursday afternoon.
Members of Francom's birth family, including his parents, attended the ceremony.
Francom, 30, was killed and five other officers were injured during the marijuana drug raid. The injured officers included Ogden officers Kasey Burrell, Shawn Grogan and Michael Rounkles. Also injured were Roy officer Jason VanderWarf and Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson.
Members of the Francom family were in attendance, as were four of the five injured officers. Burrell was unable to take part.
Francom is also survived by two daughters.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14