Bad economy takes bite out of Tooth Fairy's offerings
In tough economic times, many have had to pinch pennies. To the dismay of children with loose teeth, the Tooth Fairy has not been able to escape economic woes.
The average gift per tooth dropped to $2.10 in 2011, down 42 cents from $2.52 in 2010, according to The Original Tooth Fairy Poll sponsored by Delta Dental. The drop in value is one of the largest declines since the index began in 1998.
“Like many Americans, the Tooth Fairy needed to tighten her belt in 2011, but she's hopeful for a recovery this year,” said Chris Pyle, spokesperson for the Delta Dental Plans Association, in a statement.
The poll surveyed more than 1,300 parents in the U.S. and found that the most common amount left by the Tooth Fairy in place of a child’s tooth is $1. The findings also show that she visits nearly 90 percent of homes.
Visa Inc. conducted a similar survey regarding the Tooth Fairy.
The financial services company found that the East Coast saw the biggest fall in tooth offerings, with the Tooth Fairy leaving $2.10 last year, a 38 percent drop from the $3.40 she left in 2010.
Midwestern states were relatively unchanged, with an average of $2.80 under the pillow, a 3 percent drop from $2.90 in 2010.
The West rose to $2.80 from $2.70 last year.
The survey showed that 10 percent of children didn’t receive anything from the Tooth Fairy, compared with only 6 percent in last year’s survey.
Parents should use Tooth Fairy visits as an opportunity to talk to children about money, Visa said in a statement.
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Historic solar flight marks first...
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen...
- Former Oregon lumber town rides digital wave...
- US home prices rise at steady pace as sales...
- Stocks waver as investors monitor company...
- US stocks rise, helped by jump in Apple shares
- Fiat Chrysler raises outlook as Q2 profits...
- Get all your outdoors work done by... 13
- Provo airport expansion could provide... 5
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Deseret News, KSL want court records in... 3
- Historic solar flight marks first... 1
- 5 things to do when quitting your job 1
- Panel recommends options to reduce... 1
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen... 0