#23 Denzel Latu, So., Guard (4.5 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 spg)
#11 Alex Espinosa, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 43.0 ppg (24th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 54.4 ppg (13th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009 (4A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: For a team that didn’t beat a team with a winning record all year, drawing No. 1 American Fork in the first round is a brutal draw. Even if West plays a perfect game, it’s hard to imagine a scenario in which it can pull off the upset.
West Jordan Jaguars (19-2)
Coach: Scott Briggs
How qualified: Finished first in Region 3 with a 9-1 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Fremont, Tuesday, 12:50 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 78-71 win at Orem on Dec. 17.
Best region victory: A 75-60 win at Alta on Feb. 10.
#21 Jordan Loveridge, Sr., Forward (22.8 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
#23 Jaden Jackson, Sr., Guard (16.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.6 spg)
#24 Jordan Pryor, Sr., Guard (13.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.3 spg)
#20 Seth Barrus, Sr., Forward (6.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
#33 DeShawn Perkins, Sr., Guard (4.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 71.6 ppg (1st in 5A)
Scoring defense: 53.2 ppg (11th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over American Fork in championship game.
Edward’s evaluation: The last time the state tournament was at the Maverik Center, West Jordan cut down the nets after upsetting Lone Peak in the championship game. This year, those same 5A powers are headed toward a semifinal showdown baring any major upsets. Jordan Loveridge is a weapon no other team in 5A possesses, and he needs to dominate for the Jags to win the title. As good as they are offensively, it’s hard to imagine the Jaguars beating Lone Peak if the inevitable match-up turns into a track meet.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20