#23 Denzel Latu, So., Guard (4.5 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 spg)
#11 Alex Espinosa, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 43.0 ppg (24th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 54.4 ppg (13th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009 (4A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: For a team that didn’t beat a team with a winning record all year, drawing No. 1 American Fork in the first round is a brutal draw. Even if West plays a perfect game, it’s hard to imagine a scenario in which it can pull off the upset.
West Jordan Jaguars (19-2)
Coach: Scott Briggs
How qualified: Finished first in Region 3 with a 9-1 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Fremont, Tuesday, 12:50 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 78-71 win at Orem on Dec. 17.
Best region victory: A 75-60 win at Alta on Feb. 10.
#21 Jordan Loveridge, Sr., Forward (22.8 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
#23 Jaden Jackson, Sr., Guard (16.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.6 spg)
#24 Jordan Pryor, Sr., Guard (13.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.3 spg)
#20 Seth Barrus, Sr., Forward (6.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
#33 DeShawn Perkins, Sr., Guard (4.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 71.6 ppg (1st in 5A)
Scoring defense: 53.2 ppg (11th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over American Fork in championship game.
Edward’s evaluation: The last time the state tournament was at the Maverik Center, West Jordan cut down the nets after upsetting Lone Peak in the championship game. This year, those same 5A powers are headed toward a semifinal showdown baring any major upsets. Jordan Loveridge is a weapon no other team in 5A possesses, and he needs to dominate for the Jags to win the title. As good as they are offensively, it’s hard to imagine the Jaguars beating Lone Peak if the inevitable match-up turns into a track meet.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14