#23 Denzel Latu, So., Guard (4.5 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 spg)
#11 Alex Espinosa, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 43.0 ppg (24th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 54.4 ppg (13th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009 (4A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: For a team that didn’t beat a team with a winning record all year, drawing No. 1 American Fork in the first round is a brutal draw. Even if West plays a perfect game, it’s hard to imagine a scenario in which it can pull off the upset.
West Jordan Jaguars (19-2)
Coach: Scott Briggs
How qualified: Finished first in Region 3 with a 9-1 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Fremont, Tuesday, 12:50 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 78-71 win at Orem on Dec. 17.
Best region victory: A 75-60 win at Alta on Feb. 10.
#21 Jordan Loveridge, Sr., Forward (22.8 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
#23 Jaden Jackson, Sr., Guard (16.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.6 spg)
#24 Jordan Pryor, Sr., Guard (13.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.3 spg)
#20 Seth Barrus, Sr., Forward (6.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
#33 DeShawn Perkins, Sr., Guard (4.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 71.6 ppg (1st in 5A)
Scoring defense: 53.2 ppg (11th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over American Fork in championship game.
Edward’s evaluation: The last time the state tournament was at the Maverik Center, West Jordan cut down the nets after upsetting Lone Peak in the championship game. This year, those same 5A powers are headed toward a semifinal showdown baring any major upsets. Jordan Loveridge is a weapon no other team in 5A possesses, and he needs to dominate for the Jags to win the title. As good as they are offensively, it’s hard to imagine the Jaguars beating Lone Peak if the inevitable match-up turns into a track meet.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24