#20 Tanner Gamble, Sr., Guard (7.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 2.0 apg, 0.8 spg)
#24 Brody Bagshaw, Sr., Forward (6.4 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.0 spg)
#35 McKay Richins, Jr., Forward (5.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 57.3 ppg (10th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 49.4 ppg (5th in 5A)
Last state championship: 1993
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Riverton in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: This team went 2-9 in the preseason, so it’s very easy to discount its 10-0 record in the very weak Region 2. However, over the past three weeks, it appears the Vikings started to figure things out offensively, scoring at a higher clip than they have all season. Was that because they’ve evolved into a decent team, or because the rest of Region 2 failed to keep pace?
Weber Warriors (17-4)
Coach: Mark Larsen
How qualified: Finished second in Region 1 with a 7-3 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Brighton, Tuesday, 4:10 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 70-58 win against Sky View on Dec. 14.
Best region victory: A 1 56-42 win at Davis on Feb. 7.
#3 Hayden Schenck, Jr., Guard (19.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.9 apg, 3.2 spg)
#23 Justin Nielsen, Sr., Forward (12.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.3 spg)
#20 Jake Shaw, Sr., Forward (8.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
#24 Dylan Rogers, Jr. , Guard (5.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.5 spg)
#4 Zak Mahas, Sr., Forward (5.3 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 60.6 ppg (7th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 52.6 ppg (8th in 5A)
Last state championship: 1971 (3A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Weber may be the best team in 5A nobody knows about outside of Northern Utah. The Warriors feature one of the best point guards in the state in Hayden Schenck, and he runs the offense exceptionally well. They only lost four games all year, but two were to Northridge in Region 1 which cost them the region title. Weber might not be good enough to compete with the big three in 5A, but it’s more than capable of getting past the first round.
West Panthers (5-16)
Coach: Mike Matheson
How qualified: Finished tied with Kearns for third in Region 2 with a 4-6 record, but lost the season series to Kearns to fall into the No. 4 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. American Fork, Tuesday, 5:50 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 61-45 win against Cyprus on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 39-27 win against granger on Feb. 10.
#5 Devin Price, Sr., Forward (9.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.7 spg)
#24 Lennon Coley, Sr., Forward (8.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
#33 Gordon Vetas, Jr., Guard (7.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.2 spg)
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 97
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 63
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 20
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 15
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8