#20 Tanner Gamble, Sr., Guard (7.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 2.0 apg, 0.8 spg)
#24 Brody Bagshaw, Sr., Forward (6.4 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.0 spg)
#35 McKay Richins, Jr., Forward (5.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 57.3 ppg (10th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 49.4 ppg (5th in 5A)
Last state championship: 1993
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Riverton in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: This team went 2-9 in the preseason, so it’s very easy to discount its 10-0 record in the very weak Region 2. However, over the past three weeks, it appears the Vikings started to figure things out offensively, scoring at a higher clip than they have all season. Was that because they’ve evolved into a decent team, or because the rest of Region 2 failed to keep pace?
Weber Warriors (17-4)
Coach: Mark Larsen
How qualified: Finished second in Region 1 with a 7-3 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Brighton, Tuesday, 4:10 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 70-58 win against Sky View on Dec. 14.
Best region victory: A 1 56-42 win at Davis on Feb. 7.
#3 Hayden Schenck, Jr., Guard (19.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.9 apg, 3.2 spg)
#23 Justin Nielsen, Sr., Forward (12.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.3 spg)
#20 Jake Shaw, Sr., Forward (8.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
#24 Dylan Rogers, Jr. , Guard (5.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.5 spg)
#4 Zak Mahas, Sr., Forward (5.3 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 60.6 ppg (7th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 52.6 ppg (8th in 5A)
Last state championship: 1971 (3A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Weber may be the best team in 5A nobody knows about outside of Northern Utah. The Warriors feature one of the best point guards in the state in Hayden Schenck, and he runs the offense exceptionally well. They only lost four games all year, but two were to Northridge in Region 1 which cost them the region title. Weber might not be good enough to compete with the big three in 5A, but it’s more than capable of getting past the first round.
West Panthers (5-16)
Coach: Mike Matheson
How qualified: Finished tied with Kearns for third in Region 2 with a 4-6 record, but lost the season series to Kearns to fall into the No. 4 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. American Fork, Tuesday, 5:50 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 61-45 win against Cyprus on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 39-27 win against granger on Feb. 10.
#5 Devin Price, Sr., Forward (9.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.7 spg)
#24 Lennon Coley, Sr., Forward (8.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
#33 Gordon Vetas, Jr., Guard (7.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.2 spg)
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16