#23 Karson Casteel, Sr., Forward (14.7 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 spg)
#3 Preston Christensen, Jr., Guard (10.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.1 spg)
#32 Joe Newkirk, Sr., Guard (5.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.2 spg)
#12 Morgan Berg, Sr., Guard (4.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 spg)
#2 Bryson Niederhauser, Sr., Guard (2.4 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.9 spg)
Scoring offense: 47.4 ppg (20th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 46.2 ppg (1st in 5A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Copper Hills in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: The formula for winning its first region title in 10 years wasn’t necessarily pretty, but effective. The Knights were one of the lowest scoring teams in 5A, but that didn’t matter because they hung their hats on defense and statistically were the best in 5A. Losing to Davis on the last night of the season raises some red flags though about how deep this team can really go in the playoffs.
Riverton Silverwolves (11-10)
Coach: Steve Galley
How qualified: Finished tied with Bingham for third in Region 4 with a 4-6 record, but lost the region tiebreaker to fall into the No. 4 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Viewmont, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 62-58 win against West Jordan on Dec. 20.
Best region victory: A 64-43 win against Lehi on Feb. 21.
#3 D McCleary, Sr., Guard (14.0 ppg)
#24 Stephan Holm, Jr., Guard (13.5 ppg)
#33 Bryce Stone, Jr., Forward (7.8 ppg)
#44 Richard Worsham, Jr., Center (5.8 ppg)
#12 Austin Anderson, Sr., Guard (4.6 ppg)
Scoring offense: 54.0 ppg (13th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 55.2 ppg (16th in 5A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Alta in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: In December, this team finished with a 7-2 record with a win over West Jordan. In January, it went 1-5. After back-to-back losses to Lone Peak and American fork to start February — the AF loss was in OT — this team somehow managed to clinch a playoff berth by ending the season on a three-game winning streak. It’s impossible to predict which team will show up in the playoffs, but Riverton has proven it can play with anybody.
Viewmont Vikings (12-9)
Coach: Jeff Emery
How qualified: Finished first in Region 2 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Riverton, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 55-50 (OT) win against Bountiful on Dec. 9.
Best region victory: An 85-81 (3OT) win at Hunter on Jan. 18.
#44 Haden Heath, Sr., Forward (10.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, 0.5 spg)
#25 Jarom Tye, Jr., Guard (9.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.5 spg)
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30