#35 Dayon Goodman, Jr., Forward (18.0 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.6 spg)
#2 Taylor Yeager, Sr., Guard (12.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.9 spg)
#12 Jordan Harvey, Sr. , Guard (5.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.7 spg)
#33 Jarvis Andrews, Sr., Forward (4.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.5 spg)
#11 Afuvai Leiato, Sr., Guard (5.2 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 50.6 ppg (17th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 53.1 ppg (10th in 5A)
Last state championship: 1972 (3A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Lone Peak in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Kearns will be a massive underdog against Lone Peak in the first round, but it has nothing to lose and should be come out very loose. Considering their relatively close proximity to the Maverik Center, there’s a chance the Cougars might have a large contingent of students on hand to cheer them on. If they can feed off that energy, and Lone Peak is having an off night shooting, perhaps Kearns can keep it close.
Lone Peak Knights (18-3)
Coach: Quincy Lewis
How qualified: Finished tied with American Fork for the Region 4 title with a 9-1 record, but lost the coin flip to fall into the No. 2 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Kearns, Tuesday, 9:30 a.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 72-67 (2OT) win against Whitney Young, Ill. in Myrtle Beach, S.C. on Dec. 30.
Best region victory: A 55-40 win against American Fork on Jan. 20.
#4 Nick Emery, Jr., Guard (22.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.2 apg, 2.4 spg)
#11 T.J.Haws, So., Forward (17.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.3 spg)
#21 Talon Shumway, Jr., Forward (9.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.0 spg)
#15 Chase Hansen, Sr., Forward (3.2 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.9 spg)
#14 Brody Berry, Sr., Guard (3.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.9 apg, 1.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 65.0 ppg (2nd in 5A)
Scoring defense: 47.8 ppg (3rd in 5A)
Last state championship: 2011
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to West Jordan in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: This time last year, Lone Peak was hitting its stride and was virtually untouchable. Now, however, there’s a lot of uncertainty heading in the playoffs. The Knights are certainly talented enough to run away with the 5A title, but their young guards can sometimes get easily frustrated and when that happens the offense seems to break down. Lone Peak averages eight 3-pointers per game, but the Maverik Center has rarely been kind to shooters through the years.
Northridge Knights (13-8)
Coach: Chad Sims
How qualified: Finished first in Region 1 with an 8-2 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Copper Hills, Tuesday, 11:10 a.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 48-43 win at Jordan on Dec. 10.
Best region victory: A 53-45 win against Weber on Feb. 17.
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- High school girls track: Moses, Carr set pole...
- Extra efforts pay off in Sky View's...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0