Edward’s evaluation: The clichÉ “anyone can beat anyone on a given night” definitely applies to Brighton this year. The Bengals split the season series with every team in Region 3 excluding Cottonwood. That 85-82 overtime win over West Jordan is proof the Bengals can play with the big boys when their shots are dropping. Needs to crank it up a notch defensively in the playoffs though.
Copper Hills Grizzlies (12-8)
Coach: Kent Smith
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 3 with a 5-5 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Northridge, Tuesday, 11:10 a.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 53-45 win at Dixie on Dec. 30.
Best region victory: A 72-54 win against Brighton on Feb. 10.
Tyler Lazenby, Sr., Forward (12.0 ppg)
Dylan Carter, Sr., Guard (11.0 ppg)
Bryson Allen, Sr., Center (10.0 ppg)
Dustin Graham, Sr., Forward (8.4 ppg)
Cameron Sanchez, Sr., Guard (7.1 ppg)
Scoring offense: 59.3 ppg (8th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 52.6 ppg (9th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2000
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Lone Peak in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Grizzlies may be a No. 4 seed, but they’re playing great basketball right now and one could make an argument that they should be favored against Region 1 champion Northridge in the first round. Copper Hills was one desperation 3-pointer away from beating West Jordan two weeks ago, which would’ve really strengthened its resume in the playoffs.
Davis Darts (13-8)
Coach: Jay Welk
How qualified: Finished in a third-place tied in Region 1 with Fremont at 6-4. Swept the season series with Fremont to claim the No. 3 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Alta, Tuesday, 9:10 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 49-39 win against Bingham on Dec. 9.
Best region victory: A 42-38 win at Fremont on Feb. 17.
#23 Tyson Denney, Sr., Guard (10.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.7 spg)
#33 Jace Johnson, Sr., Forward (7.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.4 spg)
#30 Abel Porter, So., Guard (8.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg)
#21 Karter Chisholm, Sr., Guard (6.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.9 spg)
#32 Braden Koelliker, Jr., Center (5.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 53.1 ppg (14th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 51.6 ppg (6th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2002
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Alta in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Davis lost to Alta by 26 points in the second game of the season this year. We’ll find out next Tuesday just how much the Darts have closed that gap when the same teams meet in the first round. Davis has been a very up and down team this year, but with victories over Fremont and Northridge to close the regular season, it’s heading into the state tournament on an upswing.
Fremont Silver Wolves (12-9)
Coach: Corey Melaney
How qualified: Finished in a third-place tied in Region 1 with Fremont at 6-4. Lost the season series to Davis to fall into No. 4 seed.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35