Edward’s evaluation: The clichÉ “anyone can beat anyone on a given night” definitely applies to Brighton this year. The Bengals split the season series with every team in Region 3 excluding Cottonwood. That 85-82 overtime win over West Jordan is proof the Bengals can play with the big boys when their shots are dropping. Needs to crank it up a notch defensively in the playoffs though.
Copper Hills Grizzlies (12-8)
Coach: Kent Smith
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 3 with a 5-5 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Northridge, Tuesday, 11:10 a.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 53-45 win at Dixie on Dec. 30.
Best region victory: A 72-54 win against Brighton on Feb. 10.
Tyler Lazenby, Sr., Forward (12.0 ppg)
Dylan Carter, Sr., Guard (11.0 ppg)
Bryson Allen, Sr., Center (10.0 ppg)
Dustin Graham, Sr., Forward (8.4 ppg)
Cameron Sanchez, Sr., Guard (7.1 ppg)
Scoring offense: 59.3 ppg (8th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 52.6 ppg (9th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2000
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Lone Peak in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Grizzlies may be a No. 4 seed, but they’re playing great basketball right now and one could make an argument that they should be favored against Region 1 champion Northridge in the first round. Copper Hills was one desperation 3-pointer away from beating West Jordan two weeks ago, which would’ve really strengthened its resume in the playoffs.
Davis Darts (13-8)
Coach: Jay Welk
How qualified: Finished in a third-place tied in Region 1 with Fremont at 6-4. Swept the season series with Fremont to claim the No. 3 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Alta, Tuesday, 9:10 p.m. (At Maverik Center)
Best preseason victory: A 49-39 win against Bingham on Dec. 9.
Best region victory: A 42-38 win at Fremont on Feb. 17.
#23 Tyson Denney, Sr., Guard (10.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.7 spg)
#33 Jace Johnson, Sr., Forward (7.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.4 spg)
#30 Abel Porter, So., Guard (8.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg)
#21 Karter Chisholm, Sr., Guard (6.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.9 spg)
#32 Braden Koelliker, Jr., Center (5.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 53.1 ppg (14th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 51.6 ppg (6th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2002
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Alta in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Davis lost to Alta by 26 points in the second game of the season this year. We’ll find out next Tuesday just how much the Darts have closed that gap when the same teams meet in the first round. Davis has been a very up and down team this year, but with victories over Fremont and Northridge to close the regular season, it’s heading into the state tournament on an upswing.
Fremont Silver Wolves (12-9)
Coach: Corey Melaney
How qualified: Finished in a third-place tied in Region 1 with Fremont at 6-4. Lost the season series to Davis to fall into No. 4 seed.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28