ERDA, Tooele County — A 19-year-old Tooele County woman became the latest weekend fatality on Utah's roads when the car she was riding in Sunday hit a patch of black ice and rolled several times, ejecting her.
Tooele County Sheriff's Lt. Jeff Morgan said Tasia R. Hymas was in a car traveling north on Droubay Road near 2700 North about 10:30 p.m. when the crash happened.
Hymas was in the backseat of the vehicle when it went out of control. She was ejected after it rolled at least four times, Morgan said.
Three other females in the vehicle, ages 16 to 19, suffered minor injuries. Two of them were taken to area hospitals, where they were treated and released.
Morgan said Droubay Road was iced over and snowy as the result of Sunday's storm, and the car was traveling too fast for conditions. The name of the driver was not released.
Earlier Sunday in Tooele County, James Doyle, 51, of Salt Lake City was killed in a rollover accident on I-80 near the exit to state Route 36. The SUV he was driving went out of control and rolled into the median. The cause of the crash is under investigation, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Still another rollover Saturday in Tooele County left two teenagers hospitalized Monday in critical condition. They were among a trio of teens ejected from a high-profile SUV that flipped after the driver more than likely over-corrected, troopers said.
The crash on state Route 36 near Vernon has left the one teenage girl in a medically induced coma because of a severe head injury, Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Steve Winward said Monday. One boy remains critically injured at the University of Utah Hospital, and another boy who was in the SUV is in fair condition at Intermountain Medical Center.
Winward would not release the names of the victims. He said the three remaining teenagers involved in the accident have been released from medical care.
On Sunday, Devin Carter, 9, was killed after the car driven by his mother lost control on U.S. 40 west of Vernal and was T-boned by another vehicle. Snowy roads were a factor in that accident.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 23
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 16