ERDA, Tooele County — A 19-year-old Tooele County woman became the latest weekend fatality on Utah's roads when the car she was riding in Sunday hit a patch of black ice and rolled several times, ejecting her.
Tooele County Sheriff's Lt. Jeff Morgan said Tasia R. Hymas was in a car traveling north on Droubay Road near 2700 North about 10:30 p.m. when the crash happened.
Hymas was in the backseat of the vehicle when it went out of control. She was ejected after it rolled at least four times, Morgan said.
Three other females in the vehicle, ages 16 to 19, suffered minor injuries. Two of them were taken to area hospitals, where they were treated and released.
Morgan said Droubay Road was iced over and snowy as the result of Sunday's storm, and the car was traveling too fast for conditions. The name of the driver was not released.
Earlier Sunday in Tooele County, James Doyle, 51, of Salt Lake City was killed in a rollover accident on I-80 near the exit to state Route 36. The SUV he was driving went out of control and rolled into the median. The cause of the crash is under investigation, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Still another rollover Saturday in Tooele County left two teenagers hospitalized Monday in critical condition. They were among a trio of teens ejected from a high-profile SUV that flipped after the driver more than likely over-corrected, troopers said.
The crash on state Route 36 near Vernon has left the one teenage girl in a medically induced coma because of a severe head injury, Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Steve Winward said Monday. One boy remains critically injured at the University of Utah Hospital, and another boy who was in the SUV is in fair condition at Intermountain Medical Center.
Winward would not release the names of the victims. He said the three remaining teenagers involved in the accident have been released from medical care.
On Sunday, Devin Carter, 9, was killed after the car driven by his mother lost control on U.S. 40 west of Vernal and was T-boned by another vehicle. Snowy roads were a factor in that accident.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for...
- Officials: Two women in Utah with Zika are...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 33
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8