She writes, "It is safe to assume that Mr. Romney is among (those who donate). The tens of millions of dollars he has given the church over the years have raised suspicion in some quarters. What does the church do with all that cash? Wouldn't that money have been better spent paying a higher income-tax rate? But his donations are supporting the kind of safety net that government can never hope to create. Jesus may have said the poor will always be with you, but he didn't say Medicaid would."
This article is among the best I have seen in recent years — maybe the best I have seen — about church welfare and among the most favorable about the church written during this long campaign.
In short, once again, Schaefer Riley lets Latter-day Saints be seen at their best, for which I am grateful.
One of the wonderful dynamics of new media is that one story doesn't necessarily dominate the news. Alternative voices are easily available — often written by diligent, fair-minded non-Latter-day Saints.
In a week with lots of seemingly unfavorable news coverage of Latter-day Saints, some of the best coverage also came forward.
Lane Williams teaches journalism and communication at BYU-Idaho. He is a former journalist whose scholarly interests include Mormon portrayals in the media, media and religion, and religion and politics.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 24
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 20
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 14