Tony Avelar, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — BYU defeated conference bottom-dweller Santa Clara 82-67 in a game that went as most expected it would. Grades are in for every position group and their overall effort along with an overall team grade.
Things were back to normal for Brandon Davies after a very quiet effort against San Francisco last game out. Davies had one of his more efficient outings of the year finishing with 20 points on 6-7 shooting from the field and 8-11 shooting from the line.
Noah Hartsock was able to finish the game after sustaining what looked to be devastating knee injury. Like Davies he was back to normal, finishing with 21 points on 8-14 shooting from the field.
Nate Austin used all five of his fouls — finishing the game with six points while again supplying good energy off the bench. Grade: A-
Charles Abouo provided a productive and consistent effort on both ends of the court, finishing with 14 points on 6-10 shooting, eight rebounds and four assists.
Anson Winder contributed seven points on 3-8 shooting, but did his best work on defense.
Brock Zylstra found his shot and provided some very good play as the Cougar's sixth-man. He finished with 12 points on 5-6 shooting, six rebounds and three assists. Grade: B+
Matt Carlino was clearly hampered by his sore knee, but gutted it out and provided some effective minutes as a result. He only hit on one of four shots, but did hand out five assists and account for five steals.
Craig Cusick went scoreless, but finished with five assists, seeing more time than normal at the point due to Carlino's early foul trouble and knee issues. Grade: B
The game went largely as most expected, although it took BYU a while to get going. They quickly built a big lead in the second half and were rarely challenged taking an easy conference win on the road. Grade: B+
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Jazz suffer heartbreaking, last-second loss...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 76
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40