Documents reveal disturbing influence Josh Powell had on his children
Young boys reflect father's anti-Mormon views
• From Nov. 29, 2011: It was mentioned in messages between various social workers that Braden had told his father (out of the blue) that "they found Mommy's body in the desert."
In the same correspondence, Chuck Cox told social workers that Charlie was talking on the phone to a friend in Utah and had said they would only be coming back to Utah "if Mommy came back," but said that "Mommy might be dead."
• Around the same time, Josh Powell's attorney mentioned that his client would consent to a polygraph test regarding the pornographic images found on his computer in 2009. The images were not discovered in a 2011 raid on Steven Powell's home, where two of Josh Powell's computers were also seized.
• From Dec. 1, 2011: Chuck Cox said he believes Utah law enforcement are planning to arrest Josh Powell soon, but said police have plenty of time to work on the case now that the boys are out of his custody.
• From Dec. 3, 2011: A social worker took the kids to McDonald's to wait for their dad, who was in a counseling session. Many people at the restaurant started talking about the boys as "the kids with the missing Utah mom." Some even addressed Charlie, saying, "Hi Charlie."
• From Dec. 9, 2011: A counselor asked Charlie to talk about a picture he had drawn of children playing in a circle. There was a big "X" drawn over it. Charlie said he doesn't have any friends or want any friends and he likes to "do stuff alone when he is at school." He said kids at school don't like him or can't be friends with him because of the situation at home and things going on with his mom.
• Sometime between Dec. 29, 2011, and Jan. 5, 2012: While staying at the Cox home, the boys shoved mud into an electrical socket. Several outlets were covered before the Coxes realized what was happening and when Josh Powell found out about it, he was very upset. He sent an email to the department saying the kids shouldn't be in the Cox home. He said that as their father, he would have noticed them doing something so dangerous.
• From Feb. 3, 2012: Chuck Cox said Braden had recently told his great aunt that he wanted to live with the Coxes "and all the people he sees there."
More documents from Washington in the Powell case are expected to be released early next month.
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Man charged with attempted murder in Ogden...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 27
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17