Laura Seitz, Deseret News
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints celebrated the 181st anniversary of the publication of the Book of Mormon and the milestone of distributing its 150-millionth copy last March.
Since the Prophet Joseph Smith originally translated the sacred volume from the gold plates into English and published the first edition in 1830, the Book of Mormon has been translated into 82 full foreign languages (25 partial) and been named one of the 20 books that changed America. In 1988, President Ezra Taft Benson charged members with "flooding the earth with the Book of Mormon."
Today the LDS Church employs a Translation Services Department and translation of church documents and materials is carried out by committees of worthy, qualified members. Members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve review new translations of the Book of Mormon.
Before a translation department was organized, numerous stalwart Latter-day Saints contributed to the work of translating the Book of Mormon in the early days of the LDS Church. Many faced unique challenges only overcome with pure determination, faith and divine intervention. Some of their names are prominent while others are only known to their descendants. The contributions have blessed countless lives and helped to build the kingdom.
This week Mormon Times features the history of several of the translations and translators of the Book of Mormon.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 17
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 12
- Russians' views on religion are... 7