Laura Seitz, Deseret News
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints celebrated the 181st anniversary of the publication of the Book of Mormon and the milestone of distributing its 150-millionth copy last March.
Since the Prophet Joseph Smith originally translated the sacred volume from the gold plates into English and published the first edition in 1830, the Book of Mormon has been translated into 82 full foreign languages (25 partial) and been named one of the 20 books that changed America. In 1988, President Ezra Taft Benson charged members with "flooding the earth with the Book of Mormon."
Today the LDS Church employs a Translation Services Department and translation of church documents and materials is carried out by committees of worthy, qualified members. Members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve review new translations of the Book of Mormon.
Before a translation department was organized, numerous stalwart Latter-day Saints contributed to the work of translating the Book of Mormon in the early days of the LDS Church. Many faced unique challenges only overcome with pure determination, faith and divine intervention. Some of their names are prominent while others are only known to their descendants. The contributions have blessed countless lives and helped to build the kingdom.
This week Mormon Times features the history of several of the translations and translators of the Book of Mormon.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Angel Moroni placed atop Indianapolis temple
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16