Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 4A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
There’s a lot of uncertainty heading into the 4A girls basketball state tournament. As many as eight teams probably have a shot at winning the state title based on results throughout the season. Then there’s a team like Springville, whose 11-10 record isn’t all that impressive, but it recently beat Region 8 champion Salem Hills.
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 17 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
Bonneville Lakers (18-3)
Coach: Mike Russell
How qualified: Finished first in Region 5 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Olympus, Monday, 11:10 a.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 55-44 win against Bountiful on Jan. 3.
Best region victory: A 50-39 win at Mountain Crest on Feb. 9.
Emilie Vok, Jr., Guard (13.0 ppg)
Kayla Eilertson, So., Guard (10.3 ppg)
Cortney Porter, So., Guard (7.7 ppg)
McKinlee Westmoreland, Sr., Forward (7.5 ppg)
Lexie Stratford, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg)
Scoring offense: 49.8 ppg (11th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 36.6 ppg (1st in 4A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Cyprus in championship game.
Bountiful Braves (15-6)
Coach: Joel Burton
How qualified: Finished in a second-place tie in Region 6 with Woods Cross at 7-3, but won the coin flip to claim the No. 2 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Maple Mountain, Monday, 2:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 51-32 win against Olympus on Dec. 16.
Best region victory: A 55-42 win against Woods Cross on Feb. 14.
Taylor Boroson, Sr. (12.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.7 apg, 2.5 spg)
Kennedy Merrick, Jr. (10.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.7 spg)
Abby Wilson, Sr. (9.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.4 spg)
Ashley Eyring, Jr. (5.0 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
Brianna Rolf, Sr. (4.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.9 spg)
Scoring offense: 53.2 ppg (7th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 42.3 ppg (8th in 4A)
Last state championship: 2001
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Loss to Maple Mountain in first round.
Cyprus Pirates (20-1)
Coach: Josh Adams
How qualified: Finished first in Region 6 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Springville, Monday, 7:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 56-48 win against Bonneville on Nov. 22.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30