Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 4A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
There’s a lot of uncertainty heading into the 4A girls basketball state tournament. As many as eight teams probably have a shot at winning the state title based on results throughout the season. Then there’s a team like Springville, whose 11-10 record isn’t all that impressive, but it recently beat Region 8 champion Salem Hills.
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 17 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
Bonneville Lakers (18-3)
Coach: Mike Russell
How qualified: Finished first in Region 5 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Olympus, Monday, 11:10 a.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 55-44 win against Bountiful on Jan. 3.
Best region victory: A 50-39 win at Mountain Crest on Feb. 9.
Emilie Vok, Jr., Guard (13.0 ppg)
Kayla Eilertson, So., Guard (10.3 ppg)
Cortney Porter, So., Guard (7.7 ppg)
McKinlee Westmoreland, Sr., Forward (7.5 ppg)
Lexie Stratford, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg)
Scoring offense: 49.8 ppg (11th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 36.6 ppg (1st in 4A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Cyprus in championship game.
Bountiful Braves (15-6)
Coach: Joel Burton
How qualified: Finished in a second-place tie in Region 6 with Woods Cross at 7-3, but won the coin flip to claim the No. 2 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Maple Mountain, Monday, 2:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 51-32 win against Olympus on Dec. 16.
Best region victory: A 55-42 win against Woods Cross on Feb. 14.
Taylor Boroson, Sr. (12.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.7 apg, 2.5 spg)
Kennedy Merrick, Jr. (10.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.7 spg)
Abby Wilson, Sr. (9.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.4 spg)
Ashley Eyring, Jr. (5.0 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
Brianna Rolf, Sr. (4.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.9 spg)
Scoring offense: 53.2 ppg (7th in 4A)
Scoring defense: 42.3 ppg (8th in 4A)
Last state championship: 2001
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Loss to Maple Mountain in first round.
Cyprus Pirates (20-1)
Coach: Josh Adams
How qualified: Finished first in Region 6 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Springville, Monday, 7:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 56-48 win against Bonneville on Nov. 22.
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 103
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 66
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 31