In our fix-it-quick world, it’s common to share the phrase “have a good day.” But saying it doesn’t make it so.
In “Love Life and See Good Days” (Deseret Book, $18.99), Emily Freeman offers 12 suggestions to help get through the daily challenges, embarrassments and even tragedies of life.
Freeman uses “likening” scriptures with appropriate personal anecdotes to create an interesting and useful how-to guide for anyone wanting to follow the Apostle Peter’s counsel to “...love life, and see good days” (1 Peter 3:10).
Some of Freeman’s suggestions are:
- Change your perspective. As Jesus asked his apostles: “How is it that ye do not understand?” (Mark 8: 21). We, too, must focus on the hand of the Lord and open our eyes to the miracles in ordinary moments.
- Leave the mountains of sorrow and pain behind. We will have bad days, but just as Moses was told, “Ye have compassed this mountain long enough: turn you northward” (Deuteronomy 2:3). We must leave mourning and sorrow and rise up when the Lord whispers.
- Approach each day with the goal to see its opportunities. Using the image of a stone-balancer, Freeman advises that we choose our stones wisely and sometimes set a stone, or activity, aside to balance our day. And always there is the need for nurturing, scripture reading and praying — for “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalms 118:24).
- Live every second, enjoy every moment. Choose happiness. Freeman points to the examples of two remarkable modern-day women who “took what life brought them and decided to choose happiness,” as well as Book of Mormon people who “lived after the manner of happiness” (2 Nephi 5:27).
Norma King is a freelance writer in Liberty, Mo. She contributes regularly to the Kansas City Star and also writes for children and teenagers.
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 25
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 19
- Russians' views on religion are... 16
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 7
- LDS World: Western author Wallace... 6