Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
Some parents have become their child's mortgage lender as more young people fail to qualify for mortgage loans even with rates at record lows, according to Fox Business.
"Twenty-six percent of first-time homebuyers received a gift from a relative and 7 percent borrowed money from a relative," National Association of Realtors spokesman Walter Molony told Fox Business.
Even though there's a plethora of risks involved when people lend money to their children, the deal can be a win-win for both people, according to Fox Business.
Business as usual
If people lend to their children, they should treat the arrangement just like a regular business deal, according to Fox Business. Mari Adam, president of Adam Financial Associates in Boca Raton, Fla., told Fox Business that with so much risk, family members should go through all of the formalities.
Act like a mortgage lender
The child's credit should be examined before an agreement is made. Parents should check all three of their children's credit scores, according to Fox Business.
It's all about structure
With how low interest rates are right now, lending to your child can be a good investment, according to Fox Business. Parents lending to their children will have some flexibility as a lender but the industry rules should still apply. There should be some kind of down payment, somewhere around 5 or 10 percent.
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- How much money should you be saving from each...
- Airline industry is least liked industries in...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- University of Utah commits to buying more...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- Leadership touted at governor's economic summit
- Happiness research inspired one... 12
- EnergySolutions shouldn't store uranium... 8
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 5
- Contact lens makers sue Utah over... 4
- Airline industry is least liked... 4
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- University of Utah commits to buying... 3
- Leadership touted at governor's... 3