Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
Some parents have become their child's mortgage lender as more young people fail to qualify for mortgage loans even with rates at record lows, according to Fox Business.
"Twenty-six percent of first-time homebuyers received a gift from a relative and 7 percent borrowed money from a relative," National Association of Realtors spokesman Walter Molony told Fox Business.
Even though there's a plethora of risks involved when people lend money to their children, the deal can be a win-win for both people, according to Fox Business.
Business as usual
If people lend to their children, they should treat the arrangement just like a regular business deal, according to Fox Business. Mari Adam, president of Adam Financial Associates in Boca Raton, Fla., told Fox Business that with so much risk, family members should go through all of the formalities.
Act like a mortgage lender
The child's credit should be examined before an agreement is made. Parents should check all three of their children's credit scores, according to Fox Business.
It's all about structure
With how low interest rates are right now, lending to your child can be a good investment, according to Fox Business. Parents lending to their children will have some flexibility as a lender but the industry rules should still apply. There should be some kind of down payment, somewhere around 5 or 10 percent.
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Renewable energy advocates decry proposed...
- Battered by recalls, GM buoyed by its large SUVs
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- The Gateway adding new dining concept
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Family feud sparks revolt at grocery store...
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 7
- New solar energy project at Utah... 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 5
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 5
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Beef pollutes more than pork, poultry,... 2