Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 5A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
All eyes on Syracuse heading into this year’s 5A girls basketball state tournament. The undefeated Titans are the overwhelming favorite to claim the state title, but that was the case last year as well when Alta shocked Syracuse in the championship game. Layton, Lone Peak, Alta and Riverton are among the teams hoping to be the spoiler this year.
Here’s a team-by-team look at 15 of the 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect. We’ll and a write up about the Region 2 No. 4 seed after their play-in game on Friday night:
Alta Hawks (16-5)
Coach: Kristin Jensen
How qualified: Finished first in Region 3 with a 10-0 record
Playoff opener: vs. Davis, Tuesday, 12:50 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 46-42 win against Riverton on Dec. 8.
Best region victory: A 57-47 win at Brighton on Jan. 10.
Makenzi Morrison, Sr., Guard (22.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 4.2 apg, 4.4 spg)
Abbie Simons, Sr., Forward (8.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.1 spg)
Chloe Ferre, So., Guard (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Lauren Garland, Jr., Guard (6.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.6 spg)
Jessica Butler, Sr., Forward (3.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.3 apg, 1.1 spg)
Scoring offense: 56.4 ppg (2nd in 5A)
Scoring defense: 49.8 ppg (20th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2011
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in quarterfinals.
American Fork Cavemen (12-7)
Coach: Corey Clayton
How qualified: Finished third in Region 4 with a 6-4 record
Playoff opener: vs. Hunter, Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 63-60 win at Alta on Jan. 4.
Best region victory: A 49-37 win against Riverton on Feb. 7.
Cassidy Fraughton, Jr., Guard (14.8 ppg)
Ashley Baugh, Jr., Guard (12.1 ppg)
Sadie Williams, Sr., Guard (7.4 ppg)
Megan Eliason, Jr., Guard (4.8 ppg)
Tyra Rodriguez, So., Guard (4.0 ppg)
Scoring offense: 52.5 ppg (6th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 45.6 ppg (13th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Syracuse in semifinals
Bingham Miners (14-7)
Coach: Rand Rasmussen
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 4 with a 5-5 record
Playoff opener: vs. Taylorsville, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but will...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Little offense as main players sit out... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 41
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 29
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 12