Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 5A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
All eyes on Syracuse heading into this year’s 5A girls basketball state tournament. The undefeated Titans are the overwhelming favorite to claim the state title, but that was the case last year as well when Alta shocked Syracuse in the championship game. Layton, Lone Peak, Alta and Riverton are among the teams hoping to be the spoiler this year.
Here’s a team-by-team look at 15 of the 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect. We’ll and a write up about the Region 2 No. 4 seed after their play-in game on Friday night:
Alta Hawks (16-5)
Coach: Kristin Jensen
How qualified: Finished first in Region 3 with a 10-0 record
Playoff opener: vs. Davis, Tuesday, 12:50 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 46-42 win against Riverton on Dec. 8.
Best region victory: A 57-47 win at Brighton on Jan. 10.
Makenzi Morrison, Sr., Guard (22.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 4.2 apg, 4.4 spg)
Abbie Simons, Sr., Forward (8.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.1 spg)
Chloe Ferre, So., Guard (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Lauren Garland, Jr., Guard (6.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.6 spg)
Jessica Butler, Sr., Forward (3.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.3 apg, 1.1 spg)
Scoring offense: 56.4 ppg (2nd in 5A)
Scoring defense: 49.8 ppg (20th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2011
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in quarterfinals.
American Fork Cavemen (12-7)
Coach: Corey Clayton
How qualified: Finished third in Region 4 with a 6-4 record
Playoff opener: vs. Hunter, Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 63-60 win at Alta on Jan. 4.
Best region victory: A 49-37 win against Riverton on Feb. 7.
Cassidy Fraughton, Jr., Guard (14.8 ppg)
Ashley Baugh, Jr., Guard (12.1 ppg)
Sadie Williams, Sr., Guard (7.4 ppg)
Megan Eliason, Jr., Guard (4.8 ppg)
Tyra Rodriguez, So., Guard (4.0 ppg)
Scoring offense: 52.5 ppg (6th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 45.6 ppg (13th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Syracuse in semifinals
Bingham Miners (14-7)
Coach: Rand Rasmussen
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 4 with a 5-5 record
Playoff opener: vs. Taylorsville, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8