Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 5A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
All eyes on Syracuse heading into this year’s 5A girls basketball state tournament. The undefeated Titans are the overwhelming favorite to claim the state title, but that was the case last year as well when Alta shocked Syracuse in the championship game. Layton, Lone Peak, Alta and Riverton are among the teams hoping to be the spoiler this year.
Here’s a team-by-team look at 15 of the 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect. We’ll and a write up about the Region 2 No. 4 seed after their play-in game on Friday night:
Alta Hawks (16-5)
Coach: Kristin Jensen
How qualified: Finished first in Region 3 with a 10-0 record
Playoff opener: vs. Davis, Tuesday, 12:50 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 46-42 win against Riverton on Dec. 8.
Best region victory: A 57-47 win at Brighton on Jan. 10.
Makenzi Morrison, Sr., Guard (22.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 4.2 apg, 4.4 spg)
Abbie Simons, Sr., Forward (8.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.1 spg)
Chloe Ferre, So., Guard (7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Lauren Garland, Jr., Guard (6.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.6 spg)
Jessica Butler, Sr., Forward (3.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.3 apg, 1.1 spg)
Scoring offense: 56.4 ppg (2nd in 5A)
Scoring defense: 49.8 ppg (20th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2011
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to American Fork in quarterfinals.
American Fork Cavemen (12-7)
Coach: Corey Clayton
How qualified: Finished third in Region 4 with a 6-4 record
Playoff opener: vs. Hunter, Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
Best preseason victory: A 63-60 win at Alta on Jan. 4.
Best region victory: A 49-37 win against Riverton on Feb. 7.
Cassidy Fraughton, Jr., Guard (14.8 ppg)
Ashley Baugh, Jr., Guard (12.1 ppg)
Sadie Williams, Sr., Guard (7.4 ppg)
Megan Eliason, Jr., Guard (4.8 ppg)
Tyra Rodriguez, So., Guard (4.0 ppg)
Scoring offense: 52.5 ppg (6th in 5A)
Scoring defense: 45.6 ppg (13th in 5A)
Last state championship: 2009
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Syracuse in semifinals
Bingham Miners (14-7)
Coach: Rand Rasmussen
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 4 with a 5-5 record
Playoff opener: vs. Taylorsville, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (At SLCC)
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26