Quick Take: BYU survives hectic finish, beats San Francisco 85-84
SAN FRANCISCO — BYU guard Matt Carlino poured in a career-high 30 points, including the game-winner with 18.9 seconds remaining, to lead the Cougars to a thrilling 85-84 victory over San Francisco at War Memorial Gym Thursday night.
BYU squandered an eight-point lead with 3:45 remaining, as the Dons fought back all night long.
The Cougars led the entire game until Rashad Green put USF up for the first time, 84-83 with 40 seconds left. Then Carlino hit a floater with under 20 seconds left to put BYU ahead, 85-84.
Green and Angelo Caloiaro each a chance to win the game for USF with under 10 seconds remaining, but both shots missed the mark.
Halftime Quick Take
SAN FRANCISCO — As expected, BYU has a donnybrook on its hands against the San Francisco Dons.
Led by guard Matt Carlino, who has already tied his career-high 22 points, the Cougars are holding a 49-44 halftime lead against San Francisco at War Memorial Gym.
Carlino has knocked down four 3-pointers — all of which came in the first six minutes of the game. For the half, he's hit 9-of-12 field goals to go along with two assists and three steals.
BYU hit eight of its first nine shots, including eight in a row, and took an early 18-9 advantage.
But the Dons are not letting the Cougars run away with it in this fast-paced contest. USF scored the final five points of the half.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8