Proposed Syracuse industrial park the focus of upcoming panel discussion
SYRACUSE — A development proposal for what would be Syracuse's first light industrial park is the focus of a March 1 panel discussion designed to give area residents access to experts who can answer questions.
The Ninigret Group has plans to develop about 180 acres of agricultural land south of the state Route 193 road expansion project, west of 1000 West, east of 2000 West and north of 700 South. About half of the land has the needed industrial zoning in place and the rest needs a city-approved change from commercial to industrial, said Syracuse City Manager Robert Rice.
The projected 1,200 jobs the development would attract are counted in Gov. Gary Herbert's goal of creating 100,000 jobs in 1,000 days, Rice said, and development would bolster city tax revenues. But there is some opposition, mostly from neighboring property owners who are not sure they want an industrial park near them.
"That's why we've invited some outside experts in, so people can get some answers," Rice said.
The panel includes development and marketing officials from the governor's office, the Wasatch Front Regional Council, the Utah Department of Transportation, Davis County, Layton Construction, the community development office in West Jordan and the Davis School District.
"We expect a good turnout. We hope for a good turnout," Rice said.
The event is planned from 7-8:30 p.m. in the Syracuse City Council chambers at 1979 W. 1900 South. The city is encouraging residents who are both for and against the development to attend.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 32
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11