Proposed Syracuse industrial park the focus of upcoming panel discussion
SYRACUSE — A development proposal for what would be Syracuse's first light industrial park is the focus of a March 1 panel discussion designed to give area residents access to experts who can answer questions.
The Ninigret Group has plans to develop about 180 acres of agricultural land south of the state Route 193 road expansion project, west of 1000 West, east of 2000 West and north of 700 South. About half of the land has the needed industrial zoning in place and the rest needs a city-approved change from commercial to industrial, said Syracuse City Manager Robert Rice.
The projected 1,200 jobs the development would attract are counted in Gov. Gary Herbert's goal of creating 100,000 jobs in 1,000 days, Rice said, and development would bolster city tax revenues. But there is some opposition, mostly from neighboring property owners who are not sure they want an industrial park near them.
"That's why we've invited some outside experts in, so people can get some answers," Rice said.
The panel includes development and marketing officials from the governor's office, the Wasatch Front Regional Council, the Utah Department of Transportation, Davis County, Layton Construction, the community development office in West Jordan and the Davis School District.
"We expect a good turnout. We hope for a good turnout," Rice said.
The event is planned from 7-8:30 p.m. in the Syracuse City Council chambers at 1979 W. 1900 South. The city is encouraging residents who are both for and against the development to attend.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12