Tickets still available for Olympic tribute featuring gold medalist Sarah Hughes.
Those looking to enjoy a taste of the Winter Olympics need not wait for word on whether Salt Lake City will move forward with a bid for the 2022 Games.
Saturday, Olympian Sarah Hughes, now 26, returns to the site of her gold medal-winning performance to highlight a day of activities in celebration of the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who led the Olympic Organizing Committee, will be in attendance for the 7 p.m. show at EnergySolutions Arena, 301 W. South Temple. He's expected to speak as part of the celebration.
Also featured will be Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, whose gold medal-winning performance for Canada in pairs skating ignited a firestorm when their scores first landed them in second place and revealed collusion by judges.
Tickets are still available from $20 to $125. Trent Falcone, director of marketing, said organizers are expecting about 10,000 to attend the event, which has a capacity of 12,000 seats. Tickets are available at smithstix.com and the arena box office.
Other events include:
• Friday: An ice show and parade of nations kicks off at the Utah Olympic Oval in Kearns beginning at 6:30 p.m. The free program also features a Children of Light figure skating performance, a sport exhibition show and a relighting of the torch by past and present speedskating athletes. The event is free.
• Friday: At the Ogden Ice Sheet, home of the curling competition during the 2002 Games, a Winter Games presentation will be held in conjunction with the Ogden Mustangs hockey game. The presentation will be at 7:05 p.m., prior to the 7 p.m. game start. Between hockey periods, curling demonstrations will be conduced.
• Saturday: A Sport Festival is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at The Gateway shopping center in Salt Lake City. "During the street festival, participants will have an opportunity to meet winter Olympic athletes, participate in interactive winter sport demonstrations and view commemorative exhibits about the 2002 Winter Games," states the center's website promoting the event. The festival is free.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 62
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12