Steichen, who’s been known to attend battle of the bands events and loves Utah’s theater offerings and underground indie rock scene, hopes that audiences can be versatile too — perhaps even considering a crossover to attend not only the Sinatra concert, but performances like “Don Quixote” as well.
“My hope is that people will go, ‘Oh, Jerry conducts this and this. Let’s go try something new,’” he said. “If people say, ‘Yeah, it’s not really my thing,’ I kind of go, ‘Have you ever tried it?’”
Steichen believes that attitude applies to all arts and has found his plethora of experiences enriching.
“I think I am the luckiest man in the world because no one gets to have the wealth that I do just of experience,” Steichen said, knocking on the wooden table, declaring he was happy to have so much work, “but sometimes I wish I had a little bit more time to enjoy each one, because I find myself going, ‘OK, what’s the next project?’”
After "Simply Sinatra," he’s off to New Haven for a performance of Latin music, then on to Hartford for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Utah audiences will be seeing a lot of Steichen at the Deer Valley Music Festival this summer, and he's expected to stick around for a few more years.
Steichen may always be on the go and sometimes lamenting the lack of time to savor his experiences, but he’s grateful.
“Everyone’s busy,” he said. “I just get to be busy doing more of what I love, so that’s great.”
If you go...
What: "Simply Sinatra," Jerry Steichen, conductor, Steve Lippia, guest artist
Where: Abravanel Hall
When: Feb. 24-25, 8 p.m.
Tickets: $27-$58, ticket price increases $5 if purchased on the day of the concert, group and student discounts are available.
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Behind the scenes of the Utah Shakespeare...
- Peru Fest community event celebrates culture,...
- Actors anxiously await Farmington's 'Annie...
- 'Avengers' unleash 'Ultron' footage at Comic-Con
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 12
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- James Garner was a singular talent with... 1
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't... 1
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life... 1
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt... 1