Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Hurricane in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Trojans may not have quite the same pure talent as last year, but they’ve put together another impressive season with 18 regular season wins. The three best 3A teams Morgan played this year were Hurricane, Cedar and Park City, and it won just one. To make a deep run in the playoffs, Morgan will need to beat quality teams more consistently.
Ogden Tigers (10-10)
Coach: Jace McKee
How qualified: Finished tied for third in Region 11 with Bear River at 6-6, but lost the coin flip and heads into the playoffs as the No. 4 seed.
Playoff opener: at Payson, Saturday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 58-42 win against Mountain Crest on Dec. 7.
Best region victory: A 58-42 win against Bear River on Jan. 4.
Spencer Smith, Sr., Guard (15.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.9 apg, 2.1 spg)
Lyden Egbert, Sr., Forward (15.1 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.9 spg)
Blake Newman, Sr., Guard (7.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.2 apg, 0.9 spg)
Anthony Sattiewhite, Sr., Forward (6.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.4 spg)
Kael Buck, Sr., Guard (6.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 56.2 ppg (10th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 54.1 ppg (14th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1992
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Payson in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Ogden is still probably kicking itself for losing to Grantsville in the regular season finale. That loss put the Tigers at the mercy of a coin flip, and now they must open the playoffs as Region 12 champion. Ogden has shown glimpses of being a good team, as evidenced by its win over Mountain Crest, but it also has several bad losses like the Grantsville loss.
Park City Miners (11-10)
Coach: Caleb Fine
How qualified: Finished third in Region 10 with an 5-5 record
Playoff opener: at Hurricane, Saturday, 5 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 51-31 win against Morgan on Dec. 29.
Best region victory: A 55-42 win at Uintah on Feb. 3.
Britton Buford, Sr., Guard (15.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.6 spg)
Jono Schettler, Sr., Guard (14.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.5 spg)
Jordan Ruda, Sr., Center (10.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg)
Brae Dilley, Sr., Guard (5.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg, 1.0 spg)
Heath Vincent, Sr., Guard (4.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 6.5 apg, 4.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 53.6 ppg (14th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 50.2 ppg (7th in 3A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Hurricane in first round.
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 67
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26