Nick Markosian, Jr. (5.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.5 spg)
Ryan Pauley, So. (5.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.0 spg)
Easton Withers, Jr. (4.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.2 spg)
Scoring offense: 49.5 ppg (22nd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 52.2 ppg (11th in 3A)
Last state championship: Juan Diego (2005 2A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Juan Diego played a quality mix of 5A, 4A and 3A teams this season, and was an up-and-down team throughout. Desert Hills will arguably be the best team the Soaring Eagle will have played all year, and they’ll need to play a near-perfect game to pull off the upset.
Judge Memorial Bulldogs (15-6)
Coach: Dan Del Porto
How qualified: Finished first in Region 10 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Dixie, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 62-42 win at East on Dec. 7.
Best region victory: A 58-46 win at Wasatch on Jan. 17.
Jacob Gondrezick, Sr., Guard (14.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 spg)
Alex Mancini, Sr., Guard (12.1 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
Joe Cremer, Jr., Guard (10.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.0 spg)
Patrick Neville, Jr., Forward (6.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Christian Stark, Sr., Forward (6.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.6 ppg (6th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 50.5 ppg (8th in 3A)
Last state championship: 2008
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: If anyone is capable of spoiling the Region 9 party in the state tournament, it’s probably Judge. It plays excellent defense, has one of the best point guards in 3A and one of the best big men in 3A. To win a state championship, Judge would likely have to beat three Region 9 teams, including two in St. George.
Morgan Trojans (18-3)
Coach: Jim Wiscombe
How qualified: Finished first in Region 11 with a 12-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Spanish Fork, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 61-54 win against Hurricane at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 68-54 win at Ben Lomond on Jan. 27.
Jake Miles, Jr., Forward (19.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.5 spg)
Boston Saunders, Sr., Center (14.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.0 spg)
Christian Wiscombe, Sr., Guard (6.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.5 spg)
Colby Skinner, Sr., Guard (5.3 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.4 spg)
Jaran Bennett, Sr., Guard (4.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 61.9 ppg (2nd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 53.8 ppg (12th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1974
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utah football notebook: Utes now have to wait...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 95
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 30
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 27
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23