Nick Markosian, Jr. (5.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.5 spg)
Ryan Pauley, So. (5.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.0 spg)
Easton Withers, Jr. (4.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.2 spg)
Scoring offense: 49.5 ppg (22nd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 52.2 ppg (11th in 3A)
Last state championship: Juan Diego (2005 2A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Juan Diego played a quality mix of 5A, 4A and 3A teams this season, and was an up-and-down team throughout. Desert Hills will arguably be the best team the Soaring Eagle will have played all year, and they’ll need to play a near-perfect game to pull off the upset.
Judge Memorial Bulldogs (15-6)
Coach: Dan Del Porto
How qualified: Finished first in Region 10 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Dixie, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 62-42 win at East on Dec. 7.
Best region victory: A 58-46 win at Wasatch on Jan. 17.
Jacob Gondrezick, Sr., Guard (14.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 spg)
Alex Mancini, Sr., Guard (12.1 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
Joe Cremer, Jr., Guard (10.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.0 spg)
Patrick Neville, Jr., Forward (6.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Christian Stark, Sr., Forward (6.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.6 ppg (6th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 50.5 ppg (8th in 3A)
Last state championship: 2008
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: If anyone is capable of spoiling the Region 9 party in the state tournament, it’s probably Judge. It plays excellent defense, has one of the best point guards in 3A and one of the best big men in 3A. To win a state championship, Judge would likely have to beat three Region 9 teams, including two in St. George.
Morgan Trojans (18-3)
Coach: Jim Wiscombe
How qualified: Finished first in Region 11 with a 12-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Spanish Fork, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 61-54 win against Hurricane at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 68-54 win at Ben Lomond on Jan. 27.
Jake Miles, Jr., Forward (19.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.5 spg)
Boston Saunders, Sr., Center (14.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.0 spg)
Christian Wiscombe, Sr., Guard (6.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.5 spg)
Colby Skinner, Sr., Guard (5.3 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.4 spg)
Jaran Bennett, Sr., Guard (4.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 61.9 ppg (2nd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 53.8 ppg (12th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1974
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16