Nick Markosian, Jr. (5.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.5 spg)
Ryan Pauley, So. (5.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.0 spg)
Easton Withers, Jr. (4.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.2 spg)
Scoring offense: 49.5 ppg (22nd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 52.2 ppg (11th in 3A)
Last state championship: Juan Diego (2005 2A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Juan Diego played a quality mix of 5A, 4A and 3A teams this season, and was an up-and-down team throughout. Desert Hills will arguably be the best team the Soaring Eagle will have played all year, and they’ll need to play a near-perfect game to pull off the upset.
Judge Memorial Bulldogs (15-6)
Coach: Dan Del Porto
How qualified: Finished first in Region 10 with a 10-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Dixie, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 62-42 win at East on Dec. 7.
Best region victory: A 58-46 win at Wasatch on Jan. 17.
Jacob Gondrezick, Sr., Guard (14.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 spg)
Alex Mancini, Sr., Guard (12.1 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
Joe Cremer, Jr., Guard (10.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.0 spg)
Patrick Neville, Jr., Forward (6.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Christian Stark, Sr., Forward (6.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.6 ppg (6th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 50.5 ppg (8th in 3A)
Last state championship: 2008
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: If anyone is capable of spoiling the Region 9 party in the state tournament, it’s probably Judge. It plays excellent defense, has one of the best point guards in 3A and one of the best big men in 3A. To win a state championship, Judge would likely have to beat three Region 9 teams, including two in St. George.
Morgan Trojans (18-3)
Coach: Jim Wiscombe
How qualified: Finished first in Region 11 with a 12-0 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Spanish Fork, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 61-54 win against Hurricane at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 68-54 win at Ben Lomond on Jan. 27.
Jake Miles, Jr., Forward (19.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.5 spg)
Boston Saunders, Sr., Center (14.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.0 spg)
Christian Wiscombe, Sr., Guard (6.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.5 spg)
Colby Skinner, Sr., Guard (5.3 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.4 spg)
Jaran Bennett, Sr., Guard (4.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 61.9 ppg (2nd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 53.8 ppg (12th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1974
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45