Devin Bennett, Sr., Guard (12.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.5 spg)
Deshon Brown, Sr., Guard (9.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.6 spg)
Walker Swenson, Sr., Forward (8.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.7 spg)
Kyler Smith, Jr., Guard (4.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Brandon Pledger, Sr., Guard (4.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.9 spg)
Scoring offense: 48.5 ppg (24th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 48.6 ppg (4th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1970
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Judge in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Dixie isn’t your ordinary No. 4 seed. The Flyers have several quality region and nonregion wins under their belts, and on any given night can play with anyone in 3A. With that said, they face arguably the toughest test of the first round in trying to steal a victory at arguably the toughest place to play in 3A.
Hurricane Tigers (15-5)
Coach: Brian Vaifanua
How qualified: Finished tied for second in Region 9 with Cedar at 9-3, but won the coin flip to claim the No. 2 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Park City, Saturday, 5 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 66-55 win against Lehi at Dixie State College on Dec. 21.
Best region victory: A 54-53 win against Desert Hills on Jan. 13.
Colton Marshall, Sr., Forward (14.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.4 spg)
Boston Gubler, Sr., Center (13.5 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Taylor Parker, Sr., Forward (10.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.6 spg)
Weston Yardley, Sr., Guard (8.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.6 apg, 0.8 spg)
Benson Rich, Sr., Guard (4.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.2 apg, 0.4 spg)
Scoring offense: 55.6 ppg (11th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 47.6 ppg (3rd in 3A)
Last state championship: 1982 (2A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in championship.
Edward’s evaluation: Thanks to a successful coin flip, Hurricane doesn’t have to leave Southern Utah for the playoffs. That’s not to say the wins will come easy, because a 20-point loss to Desert Hills last week and a preseason loss to Bear River are proof that the Tigers are vulnerable. But, things are shaping up nicely for a nice little playoff run.
Juan Diego Soaring Eagle (10-12)
Coach: Brandon Sluga
How qualified: Finished in a fourth-place tie with Uintah in Region 10 at 3-7, but beat Uintah in a tiebreaker to qualify for the state tournament.
Playoff opener: at Desert Hills, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 61-51 win at East on Dec. 13.
Best region victory: A 77-44 play-in game victory against Uintah on Feb. 14.
Brian Curran, Sr. (14.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.3 spg)
Gabe Colosimo, Fr. (9.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.9 spg)
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0