How qualified: Finished second in Region 12 with a 6-4 record
Playoff opener: vs. Bear River, Saturday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 63-49 win against Stansbury on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 80-71 win against Carbon on Jan. 25.
Colin Christensen, Sr., Guard (14.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.5 spg)
Kyle Church, Sr., Forward (12.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.6 spg)
Austin Albers, Sr., Guard (11.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.3 spg)
Taylor Bahr, Jr., Forward (9.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.1 spg)
Jace Johnson, Sr., Forward (5.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 59.1 ppg (5th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 59.7 ppg (24th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1972
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Bear River first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Just like this year’s Delta football team, the basketball team is a bunch of competitors who won’t back down from a challenge. The Rabbits have lost two of their last three though, and playing a hungry team in the first round that’s playing well.
Desert Hills Thunder (18-3)
Coach: Steve Melessa
How qualified: Finished first in Region 9 with a 10-2 record
Playoff opener: vs. Juan Diego, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 61-51 win against Viewmont at Dixie State College on Dec. 21.
Best region victory: A 59-39 win against Hurricane on Feb. 8.
Tyler Ott, Sr., Forward (13.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.3 spg)
Brandon Simister, Sr., Guard (12.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.8 apg, 2.1 spg)
Jaden Beckstrand, Sr., Forward (10.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.9 spg)
Mike Needham, Sr., Forward (7.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.4 apg, 1.2 spg)
Josh Anderson, Jr., Forward (6.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 0.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 62.0 ppg (1st in 3A)
Scoring defense: 50.2 ppg (6th in 3A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over Hurricane in championship game.
Edward’s evaluation: The Thunder have been the top ranked team in 3A all year, and finishing with a 10-2 record in the best region in 3A was no small feat. Desert Hills should have no problem with Juan Diego in the first round, and after that it should enjoy some home cooking at Dixie State College.
Dixie Flyers (11-10)
Coach: Ryan Cuff
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 9 with a 7-5 record
Playoff opener: at Judge Memorial, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 50-47 win against Springville on Dec. 9.
Best region victory: A 45-42 win at Hurricane on Jan. 4.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 32
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20