How qualified: Finished second in Region 12 with a 6-4 record
Playoff opener: vs. Bear River, Saturday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 63-49 win against Stansbury on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 80-71 win against Carbon on Jan. 25.
Colin Christensen, Sr., Guard (14.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.5 spg)
Kyle Church, Sr., Forward (12.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.6 spg)
Austin Albers, Sr., Guard (11.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.3 spg)
Taylor Bahr, Jr., Forward (9.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.1 spg)
Jace Johnson, Sr., Forward (5.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 59.1 ppg (5th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 59.7 ppg (24th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1972
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Bear River first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Just like this year’s Delta football team, the basketball team is a bunch of competitors who won’t back down from a challenge. The Rabbits have lost two of their last three though, and playing a hungry team in the first round that’s playing well.
Desert Hills Thunder (18-3)
Coach: Steve Melessa
How qualified: Finished first in Region 9 with a 10-2 record
Playoff opener: vs. Juan Diego, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 61-51 win against Viewmont at Dixie State College on Dec. 21.
Best region victory: A 59-39 win against Hurricane on Feb. 8.
Tyler Ott, Sr., Forward (13.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.3 spg)
Brandon Simister, Sr., Guard (12.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.8 apg, 2.1 spg)
Jaden Beckstrand, Sr., Forward (10.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.9 spg)
Mike Needham, Sr., Forward (7.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.4 apg, 1.2 spg)
Josh Anderson, Jr., Forward (6.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 0.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 62.0 ppg (1st in 3A)
Scoring defense: 50.2 ppg (6th in 3A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Win over Hurricane in championship game.
Edward’s evaluation: The Thunder have been the top ranked team in 3A all year, and finishing with a 10-2 record in the best region in 3A was no small feat. Desert Hills should have no problem with Juan Diego in the first round, and after that it should enjoy some home cooking at Dixie State College.
Dixie Flyers (11-10)
Coach: Ryan Cuff
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 9 with a 7-5 record
Playoff opener: at Judge Memorial, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 50-47 win against Springville on Dec. 9.
Best region victory: A 45-42 win at Hurricane on Jan. 4.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 39
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 23