Edward’s evaluation: Ben Lomond has been a pleasant surprise this season, but the record is a bit deceiving. Ten of the wins came against opponents in the below average Region 11, and four of its five preseason wins came against 2A teams. Wins are wins though, and the Scots are confident and poised for their first quarterfinal berth in quite a while.
Carbon Dinos (12-8)
Coach: Jeff Cisneros
How qualified: Finished third in Region 12 with a 5-5 record
Playoff opener: at Ben Lomond, Saturday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 46-44 win against Ben Lomond on Dec. 10.
Best region victory: A 64-60 win against Delta on Feb. 10.
Jordan Blanc, Jr., Forward (13.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.6 spg)
Tanner Gagnon, Sr., Forward (10.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.9 spg)
Clay Finkbiner, Sr., Guard (9.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.5 spg)
Derek Young, Jr., Forward (8.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.1 spg)
Dakota Cisneros, Jr., Guard (6.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 6.2 apg, 2.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 58.3 ppg (7th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 54.9 ppg (17th in 3A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Desert Hills in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Hitting the road in the first round of the playoffs is often intimidating, but the Dinos shouldn’t feel that way at all. They won at Ben Lomond in double overtime earlier this year, and they’re playing well with three victories in their last four games. It could’ve easily been 4 of 5 had it not lost to Payson by one point.
Cedar Redmen (16-5)
Coach: Craig Cardon
How qualified: Finished tied for second in Region 9 with Hurricane at 9-3, but lost the coin flip to fall into the No. 3 seed.
Playoff opener: at Wasatch, Saturday, 6 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 51-36 win against Morgan at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 3.
Best region victory: A 65-57 win against Desert Hills on Jan. 27.
Kyler Nielson, Sr., Forward (18.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.7 spg)
Trent Snow, Sr., Forward (12.4 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 0.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
John Ursua, Sr., Guard (9.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.7 apg, 2.0 spg)
Breylin Blackner, Sr., Center (5.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 spg)
Kaden Garrett, Sr., Guard (3.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 56.3 ppg (9th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 46.1 ppg (2nd in 3A)
Last state championship: 1995
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Hurricane in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Losing the coin flip was no doubt discouraging, but this team should be resilient enough to head north and get a win at Wasatch. Beyond that, Cedar proved throughout the season that can beat anyone as it split the season series with both Desert Hills and Hurricane, along with beating Morgan in the preseason.
Delta Rabbits (9-10)
Coach: Jared Smith
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school girls track: Moses, Carr set pole...
- Extra efforts pay off in Sky View's...
- High school track: State meet Day 1 results
- Timpview dominates on first day of 4A tennis...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0