Lucas Rydalch, Sr., Forward (4.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.2 apg, 0.9 spg)
Cole Richins, Jr., Guard (5.4 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.7 spg)
Scoring offense: 49.5 ppg (14th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 48.0 ppg (4th in 2A)
Last state championship: 2010
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Wasatch Academy in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: South Summit’s record is a bit deceiving. Even though it certainly struggled at times, it’s poised to make some noise in the playoffs after nearly upsetting Wasatch Academy in a tune-up game on Tuesday before falling 53-51.
Wasatch Academy Tigers (19-2)
Coach: Geno Morgan
How qualified: Tied Manti for the Region 16 title with a 7-1 record. Won the resulting coin flip though and enters the playoffs as the No. 1 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Rowland Hall, Saturday, 5 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 62-55 win against South Sevier on Nov. 22.
Best region victory: A 70-65 win against Manti on Jan. 11.
Cody John, Fr., Guard (14.3 ppg)
Fred Krajacic, Sr., Guard (14.5 ppg)
Damjam Sredanovic, Sr., Guard (9.4 ppg)
Insa Kaba, Jr., Center (8.2 ppg)
Mahamoud Diop, Jr., Guard (7.8 ppg)
Scoring offense: 65.6 ppg (1st in 2A)
Scoring defense: 49.1 ppg (7th in 2A)
Last state championship: 2011 (1A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to South Sevier in championship game.
Edward’s evaluation: As talented as the Tigers are, they’ve struggled lately, losing to Manti on Feb. 3 and then barely beating South Summit this week. A showdown with South Sevier in the championship is by no means a forgone conclusion.
Waterford Ravens (14-5)
Coach: Reid Monson
How qualified: Finished second in Region 14 with a 6-2 record
Playoff opener: vs. Gunnison, Saturday, 1:30 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 50-43 win at Gunnison on Jan. 4.
Best region victory: A 57-50 win at South Summit on Jan. 11.
Seth Monson, Sr., Guard (18.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.2 spg)
Alec Monson, So., Guard (13.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.6 spg)
Muffi Hunt, Freshman, Forward (10.0 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.5 spg)
Ben White, Sr., Guard (7.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.6 spg)
Christian Mason, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 55.8 ppg (5th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 46.3 ppg (3rd in 2A)
Last state championship: 2002 (1A)
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to South Sevier in quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Waterford is a tough nut to crack right now. Last month it beat North Summit by 35 points, but then last week it lost to North Summit 61-57. The Ravens can’t get caught looking past Gunnison otherwise they’ll be one and done.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 40
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 29
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 20