Coach: Rand Janes
How qualified: Finished in a second-place tie with Emery in Region 15 with a 4-4 record, but lost the coin flip to enter the playoffs as the No. 3 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Millard, Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 56-43 win at North Sanpete on Dec. 3.
Best region victory: A 59-39 win against Emery on Jan. 11.
Jordan Kemp, Sr., Guard (13.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.2 spg)
Tyler Anderson, Sr., Forward (12.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Tanner Monroe, Sr., Center (6.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.6 spg)
Zak Jensen, Sr., Guard (3.6 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Josh Henry, Jr., Guard (3.6 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 48.4 ppg (15th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 43.0 ppg (1st in 2A)
Last state championship: 1988
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Wasatch Academy in the quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Even though Richfield has struggled lately winning just two of its last six games, it had No. 1 South Sevier on the ropes entering the fourth quarter last week before eventually losing by 10. If the Wildcats can find some consistency at state, they could make a deep run in the tournament.
Rowland Hall Winged Lion (6-16)
Coach: Shawn McQueen
How qualified: Finished tied for fourth in Region 14 with Maeser Prep at 1-7, but beat Maeser in a play-in game to secure the No. 4 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Wasatch Academy, Saturday, 5 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 56-51 OT win against St. Joseph on Nov. 30.
Best region victory: A 54-46 win against Maeser Prep on Jan. 11.
Wesley Austin, Jr., Forward (15.2 ppg)
Christopher Nkoy, So., Guard (6.0 ppg)
Caleb Chodosh, So., Guard (5.9 ppg)
Malik Adams, Jr., Guard (4.0 ppg)
Kyle Baranko, So., Guard (3.0 ppg)
Scoring offense: 43.3 ppg (20th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 52.9 ppg (9th in 2A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Wasatch Academy in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: The reward for winning Wednesday’s play-in game is hardly an award at all as Rowland Hall must face Wasatch Academy in the first round.
San Juan Broncos (8-11)
Coach: Jason Torgerson
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 15 with a 3-5 record
Playoff opener: vs. Beaver, Saturday, 10:30 a.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 50-42 win at Aztec, N.M. on Dec. 15.
Best region victory: A 48-47 win at Grand on Feb. 10.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0