Coach: Rand Janes
How qualified: Finished in a second-place tie with Emery in Region 15 with a 4-4 record, but lost the coin flip to enter the playoffs as the No. 3 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Millard, Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 56-43 win at North Sanpete on Dec. 3.
Best region victory: A 59-39 win against Emery on Jan. 11.
Jordan Kemp, Sr., Guard (13.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.2 spg)
Tyler Anderson, Sr., Forward (12.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Tanner Monroe, Sr., Center (6.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.6 spg)
Zak Jensen, Sr., Guard (3.6 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Josh Henry, Jr., Guard (3.6 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 48.4 ppg (15th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 43.0 ppg (1st in 2A)
Last state championship: 1988
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Wasatch Academy in the quarterfinals.
Edward’s evaluation: Even though Richfield has struggled lately winning just two of its last six games, it had No. 1 South Sevier on the ropes entering the fourth quarter last week before eventually losing by 10. If the Wildcats can find some consistency at state, they could make a deep run in the tournament.
Rowland Hall Winged Lion (6-16)
Coach: Shawn McQueen
How qualified: Finished tied for fourth in Region 14 with Maeser Prep at 1-7, but beat Maeser in a play-in game to secure the No. 4 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Wasatch Academy, Saturday, 5 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 56-51 OT win against St. Joseph on Nov. 30.
Best region victory: A 54-46 win against Maeser Prep on Jan. 11.
Wesley Austin, Jr., Forward (15.2 ppg)
Christopher Nkoy, So., Guard (6.0 ppg)
Caleb Chodosh, So., Guard (5.9 ppg)
Malik Adams, Jr., Guard (4.0 ppg)
Kyle Baranko, So., Guard (3.0 ppg)
Scoring offense: 43.3 ppg (20th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 52.9 ppg (9th in 2A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Wasatch Academy in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: The reward for winning Wednesday’s play-in game is hardly an award at all as Rowland Hall must face Wasatch Academy in the first round.
San Juan Broncos (8-11)
Coach: Jason Torgerson
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 15 with a 3-5 record
Playoff opener: vs. Beaver, Saturday, 10:30 a.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 50-42 win at Aztec, N.M. on Dec. 15.
Best region victory: A 48-47 win at Grand on Feb. 10.
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- BYU football what you may have missed: Not...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 64
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33