Trent Hampton, Jr., Guard (6.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.3 spg)
Scoring offense: 54.7 ppg (7th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 55.2 ppg (12th in 2A)
Last state championship: 1997
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to South Summit in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: North Sevier’s 73-69 win over Emery Tuesday was first win over a playoff team since Jan. 4. Ironically enough, that last win was a 60-43 win over South Summit. The Wolves can’t afford a false sense of security though because South Summit is much better now.
North Summit Braves (9-11)
Coach: Jerry Pace
How qualified: Finished third in Region 14 with a 5-3 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Manti, Saturday, 9 a.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: An 80-78 win at North Sevier on Dec. 16.
Best region victory: A 61-57 win against Waterford on Feb. 8.
Makay Fristrup, Sr. (12.2 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.1 spg)
Keegan McQueen, Sr. (11.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 5.7 apg, 2.8 spg)
Jaxon Vernon, Sr. (8.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.5 spg)
Nathan Rees, Sr. (6.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.1 spg)
Braden Brown, Sr. (6.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.8 apg, 2.0 spg)
Scoring offense: 55.2 ppg (6th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 57.9 ppg (16th in 2A)
Last state championship: 2007
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Manti in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: Missed out on a chance to claim a share of the region title with a loss to South Summit last Friday. If there’s a hangover from that frustrating loss, the Braves will be in trouble in the first round against a Manti team it already lost to by 23 points this year.
Parowan Rams (4-17)
Coach: Blair Einfeldt
How qualified: Finished fourth in Region 13 with a 3-5 record
Playoff opener: vs. South Sevier, Saturday, 1 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 43-40 win against North Sevier at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 2.
Best region victory: A 66-53 win against Kanab on Feb. 3.
Justin Hulet, Jr. (11.4 ppg)
Ammon Blauer, Sr. (10.0 ppg)
Caylor Mathews, Sr. (5.3 ppg)
Caleb Murphy, So. (5.1 ppg)
Tristan Adams, So. (4.2 ppg)
Scoring offense: 46.7 ppg (17th in 2A)
Scoring defense: 56.1 ppg (14th in 2A)
Last state championship: 2004
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to South Sevier in first round.
Edward’s evaluation: The Rams are completely overmatched in the first round facing a South Sevier team it already lost to by 23 points in a preseason game back on Jan. 4.
Richfield Wildcats (14-6)
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- Which returned missionaries will make the...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- BYU football notebook: Cougars to welcome...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 77
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 40
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 30
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26