"Now folks, that's outright socialism of the type described millennia later by Marx — who likely got the general idea from the Gospels," Paul said. "The pro-capitalist Christians who are aware of these passages wave them away even though it is the only explicit description of Christian economics in the Bible."
Jay W. Richards responded in the Washington Post to Paul's essay by saying no serious biblical scholar or economist would call the early church's practices Marxist. No serious biblical scholar, or economist, would mistake the practice of the early Jerusalem church for Marxism. "First of all, Marx viewed private property as oppressive, and had a theory of class warfare, in which the workers would revolt against the capitalists — the owners of the means of production — and forcibly take control of private property," he said. "After that, Marx thought, private property would be abolished, and the state would own the means of production on behalf of the people. There's none of this business in the Book of Acts. These Christians are selling their possessions and sharing freely."
Richards said the Bible's "underlying principles are most consistent with the free economy. He said St. Paul told Christians to "earn their own living," and "anyone unwilling to work should not eat" (2 Thessalonians 3: 10, 12).
Sarah Posner, responding to similar ideas at Religion Dispatches, swang back. "The kingdom Jesus is expecting upon his return is a free market system? Novel," she said. "I'm sure Wall Street is thrilled with the biblical endorsement."
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 42
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- ... 10
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS... 3