Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 3A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
Southern Utah teams are poised for a great state tournament this year with the last three rounds being played at the Burns Arena in St. George. That’s great news for teams like Snow Canyon and Desert Hills who’ve been ranked all year. Other region champs like Juan Diego, Morgan and Carbon will certainly make it a competitive tournament though.
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
Bear River Bears (14-7)
Coach: Van Park
How qualified: Finished second in Region 11 with a 10-2 record
Playoff opener: vs. Delta, Friday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 56-48 win at Judge on Dec. 30.
Best region victory: A 47-39 win at Ogden on Jan. 24.
Jordan Theurer, Jr. (8.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.9 apg, 1.5 spg)
Shaunie Owen, Sr. (7.3 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 0.6 apg, 1.8 spg)
Morgan Summers, Sr. (6.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 0.7 apg, 2.7 spg)
Kapri Beus, Sr. (6.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.2 spg)
Sarah Huber, Jr. (6.1 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.9 apg, 1.8 spg)
Scoring offense: 50.0 ppg (6th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 44.9 ppg (12th in 3A)
Last state championship: 1989
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Snow Canyon in quarterfinals.
Carbon Dinos (16-4)
Coach: Ted Bianco
How qualified: Finished first in Region 12 with a 9-1 record
Playoff opener: vs. Ogden, Friday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 49-30 win at Emery on Dec. 1.
Best region victory: A 50-28 win at Juab on Jan. 17.
Miranda Averett, Sr. (14.5 ppg)
Amanda Freestone, Sr. (8.7 ppg)
Rachel Scoggins, Sr. (8.5 ppg)
Kelcy Otani, Sr. (5.7 ppg)
Regan Powell, Sr. (4.6 ppg)
Scoring offense: 50.3 ppg (4th in 3A)
Scoring defense: 35.0 ppg (1st in 3A)
Last state championship: 2005
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Carbon in quarterfinals.
Cedar Redmen (17-4)
Coach: John Elison
How qualified: Finished third in Region 9 with an 8-4 record
Playoff opener: at Judge, Friday, 7 p.m.
Best preseason victory: A 58-39 win against Morgan at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 16.
Best region victory: A 61-34 win against Desert Hills on Jan. 24.
Tara Shipp, Jr., Forward (11.3 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.8 apg, 2.2 spg)
Madison Alger, Jr., Guard (6.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.9 spg)
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16