NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Ben Aird has been named Great West Conference Player of the Week after posting two double-doubles last week. The award was announced Monday by the league office.
"Ben has been improving each week and I’m really pleased to see his effort recognized," UVU coach Dick Hunsaker said.
Aird, a sophomore from Bountiful, Utah, scored 24 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in a 99-97 double-overtime win at NJIT last Thursday before scoring 10 points and pulling down 11 boards in a 66-61 victory at Chicago State on Saturday.
The center recorded five assists, three blocked shots and hit 7-of-8 from the free-throw line against the Highlanders and completed his stat line by picking up four steals against the Cougars.
His complete games, which included career-highs in points and assists at NJIT, helped move the Wolverines to 7-0 in conference play and extend UVU’s win streak to a school-record 10 games, the nation’s eighth longest active win streak.
It's the sixth time this season that a UVU players has won the award and Aird is the fourth different Wolverine to do so.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 83
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24