NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Ben Aird has been named Great West Conference Player of the Week after posting two double-doubles last week. The award was announced Monday by the league office.
"Ben has been improving each week and I’m really pleased to see his effort recognized," UVU coach Dick Hunsaker said.
Aird, a sophomore from Bountiful, Utah, scored 24 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in a 99-97 double-overtime win at NJIT last Thursday before scoring 10 points and pulling down 11 boards in a 66-61 victory at Chicago State on Saturday.
The center recorded five assists, three blocked shots and hit 7-of-8 from the free-throw line against the Highlanders and completed his stat line by picking up four steals against the Cougars.
His complete games, which included career-highs in points and assists at NJIT, helped move the Wolverines to 7-0 in conference play and extend UVU’s win streak to a school-record 10 games, the nation’s eighth longest active win streak.
It's the sixth time this season that a UVU players has won the award and Aird is the fourth different Wolverine to do so.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31