Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 2A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
The 2A girls basketball state tournament gets under this Friday with eight games at Snow College. The excitement really begins the following week when the quarterfinals shift to the Sevier Valley Center. No. 1 Richfield is the team to beat, but North Sevier and Beaver are both capable of capturing the state title.
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
American Leadership (12-8)
Coach: Lora Mitchell
How qualified: Finished in a three-way tie second in Region 16 with a 4-4 record, and enter playoffs as No. 3 seed after three-way coin flip.
Playoff opener: vs. North Summit, Friday, 1:30 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 54-49 win against Spanish Fork on Jan. 3.
Best region victory: A 49-39 win at Manti on Feb. 7.
Dalila Rodriquez, Jr. (13.9 ppg)
Mauriana Staheli (12.1 ppg)
McKenna Andersen, Jr. (8.7 ppg)
Paige Lofland (2.7 ppg)
McKayla Wride, Jr. (3.5 ppg)
Scoring offense: 47.6 ppg (3rd In 2A)
Scoring defense: 39.0 ppg (8th In 2A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to North Summit in first round.
Beaver Beavers (16-4)
Coach: Jon Marshall
How qualified: Finished first in Region 13 with a 7-1 record
Playoff opener: vs. South Sevier, Friday, 10:30 a.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 33-32 win over Delta at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 16.
Best region victory: A 43-40 win at Enterprise on Feb. 2.
Macail Wood, So., Forward (10.3 ppg)
Hattie Snyder, Jr., Forward (9.6 ppg)
Brittney Blackner, Sr., Guard (5.4 ppg)
Rachel Roberts, Jr., Guard (5.0 ppg)
Brielle Christensen, Jr., Guard (3.5 ppg)
Scoring offense: 39.0 ppg (14th In 2A)
Scoring defense: 33.5 ppg (1st In 2A)
Last state championship: 2010
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Richfield in semifinals.
Emery Spartans (6-11)
Coach: Dean Stilson
How qualified: Finished second in Region 15 with a 5-3 record
Playoff opener: vs. Enterprise, Friday, 8 p.m. (At Snow College)
Best preseason victory: A 47-37 win against Enterprise on Nov. 22.
Best region victory: A 44-37 win against San Juan on Feb. 10.
Blayr Jeffs, Jr. (10.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.29 spg)
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 39