They say they're done. And this time it's for real.
There will be no more planned closures. Every lane will be open. The only work that's left to be done is landscaping and a little shoulder work.
I-15 is open for business.
Sunday, the I-15 team will remove the orange barrels at 600 West and 2100 South and declare the I-15 project "substantially complete."
Project director John Bourne said he wasn't always confident the project would get done on time, as it has.
"It was something I was concerned with up front," Bourne said.
But good management and planning built his confidence.
"About a year into it, I became confident," he said.
Sunday is the biggest milestone for the project, he said.
"This is the date I personally have been focused on," he said. "May 14 was nice, but the real milestone is this July 15 date."
In May, all lanes on I-15 were opened to traffic, but closures continued between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. Bourne said motorists may have been confused and thought opened meant finished.
He's confident motorists will be pleased now, and said if a lane has to be closed it will be closed during late-night hours.
"For all intents and purposes, the job is done," he said.
A one-year warranty on the work will cover any defects in the workmanship or materials on the project anything not expected through "wear and tear."
Bourne said a 10-year warranty on the project could have been purchased, but it made sense financially not to exercise that option.
"Over the course of construction when we did inspections, we felt we got a good project," he said.
That project, which Bourne calls "the biggest, most comprehensive challenge" of his professional career, was completed without exceeding the budget."We delivered as promised," he said. "That's something we're all very proud of."
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 70
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 27
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 13