MILWAUKEE Three former Salt Lake Buzz players Jacque Jones, Corey Koskie and Torii Hunter each homered twice to tie a major league record in the Minnesota Twins' 13-6 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday night.
Doug Mientkewicz, another ex-Buzzman, also homered for the Twins, who finished with seven longballs one shy of the team record. Minnesota became the 15th team to have three players hitting two homers in a game.
Jones hit his first career grand slam off Jimmy Haynes (6-11) in the third inning and added a solo shot in the seventh off Chad Fox.
Mientkewicz, Koskie and Hunter hit consecutive solo shots off Haynes in the third inning as the Twins built a 7-0 lead.
Hunter hit his second homer off Will Cunnane in the fifth, and Koskie hit a solo shot off David Weathers in the eighth. Koskie went 4-for-5 with three runs and three RBIs.
Kyle Lohse (3-0) was the beneficiary of the support. He allowed five runs and five hits in 7 2-3 innings as the Twins won for the 14th time in 16 games to remain five games ahead of Cleveland in the AL Central.
The Twins loaded the bases in the second inning when Koskie hit a leadoff double, Hunter walked and A.J. Pierznyski reached on catcher's interference. Jones followed with his seventh homer.
Haynes was pulled in favor of Cunnane in the third inning following the three consecutive homers. Cunnane retired the first hitter he faced before throwing two consecutive inside pitches to Jones.
That drew a warning from plate umpire Bill Welke and led to the ejection of Milwaukee manager Davey Lopes for disputing the warning to both benches.
Haynes, who has one win in 10 starts since May 22, has seven runs six earned and six hits in 2 1-3 innings.
Lohse, who had his first two major league hits, allowed three runs in the sixth, including Richie Sexson's 19th homer. He also gave up a two-run homer to Geoff Jenkins.
Houston was the previous team to have three players hit two homers in a game, doing it Sept. 9, 2000.
The Twins hit eight homers against the Washington Senators on Aug. 29, 1963.
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn, 30-13,...
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage in...
- Utah high school football roundup: Frantic...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- Guest commentary: Utah's success and... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20