MILWAUKEE Three former Salt Lake Buzz players Jacque Jones, Corey Koskie and Torii Hunter each homered twice to tie a major league record in the Minnesota Twins' 13-6 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers Thursday night.
Doug Mientkewicz, another ex-Buzzman, also homered for the Twins, who finished with seven longballs one shy of the team record. Minnesota became the 15th team to have three players hitting two homers in a game.
Jones hit his first career grand slam off Jimmy Haynes (6-11) in the third inning and added a solo shot in the seventh off Chad Fox.
Mientkewicz, Koskie and Hunter hit consecutive solo shots off Haynes in the third inning as the Twins built a 7-0 lead.
Hunter hit his second homer off Will Cunnane in the fifth, and Koskie hit a solo shot off David Weathers in the eighth. Koskie went 4-for-5 with three runs and three RBIs.
Kyle Lohse (3-0) was the beneficiary of the support. He allowed five runs and five hits in 7 2-3 innings as the Twins won for the 14th time in 16 games to remain five games ahead of Cleveland in the AL Central.
The Twins loaded the bases in the second inning when Koskie hit a leadoff double, Hunter walked and A.J. Pierznyski reached on catcher's interference. Jones followed with his seventh homer.
Haynes was pulled in favor of Cunnane in the third inning following the three consecutive homers. Cunnane retired the first hitter he faced before throwing two consecutive inside pitches to Jones.
That drew a warning from plate umpire Bill Welke and led to the ejection of Milwaukee manager Davey Lopes for disputing the warning to both benches.
Haynes, who has one win in 10 starts since May 22, has seven runs six earned and six hits in 2 1-3 innings.
Lohse, who had his first two major league hits, allowed three runs in the sixth, including Richie Sexson's 19th homer. He also gave up a two-run homer to Geoff Jenkins.
Houston was the previous team to have three players hit two homers in a game, doing it Sept. 9, 2000.
The Twins hit eight homers against the Washington Senators on Aug. 29, 1963.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33