When a lawyer in New York was working on a complicated merger and acquisition similar to one recently completed by his firm's Hong Kong office, he grabbed a copy of that contract to use as a pattern for his deal.
He didn't have to leave the room to do it. And though it's unlikely he thought of Brad Pelo at the time, there's no question the Utah entrepreneur's vision made it possible.
Pelo founded Lehi-based NextPage Inc. in 1999 with a vision of allowing companies to network their employees, customers, suppliers and partners in real time. Using the company's product, users have integrated access to data from the Internet, intranets, extranets, databases and other sources through a Web browser. And they have security, as well. The company can determine who will be allowed to access each piece or type of information.
It's called peer-to-peer technology, and Pelo is a pioneer in the field.
He got the idea when he was a senior director at LEXIS-NEXIS. He was still considering it when he bought and later sold Bookcraft, a publishing company.
NextPage's award-winning NXT 3 software platform was the first product to allow the peer-to-peer content networking for businesses.
Technology changes, and Pelo's had his eye on the future. Recently, NextPage acquired netLens, a Silicon Valley-based company that will play a vital role in the development of a next-generation platform for peer-to-peer content networking.
That platform will give workers, partners and others access to the information they need to do their jobs on a variety of devices, including cell phones and handheld computers.
- Ground broken for transit-oriented housing...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Suit: Papa John's fired worker with Down...
- Dave Ramsey says: Everyone needs a financial...
- Commission to highlight women in Utah economy
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning over...
- Balancing act: Different kinds of guilt...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 10
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Colorado high court considers pot... 4
- How to be a billionaire 4
- USDA: Genetically modified wheat found... 3
- Work is sometimes the best medicine 3
- Something that may have caused the... 3