When a lawyer in New York was working on a complicated merger and acquisition similar to one recently completed by his firm's Hong Kong office, he grabbed a copy of that contract to use as a pattern for his deal.
He didn't have to leave the room to do it. And though it's unlikely he thought of Brad Pelo at the time, there's no question the Utah entrepreneur's vision made it possible.
Pelo founded Lehi-based NextPage Inc. in 1999 with a vision of allowing companies to network their employees, customers, suppliers and partners in real time. Using the company's product, users have integrated access to data from the Internet, intranets, extranets, databases and other sources through a Web browser. And they have security, as well. The company can determine who will be allowed to access each piece or type of information.
It's called peer-to-peer technology, and Pelo is a pioneer in the field.
He got the idea when he was a senior director at LEXIS-NEXIS. He was still considering it when he bought and later sold Bookcraft, a publishing company.
NextPage's award-winning NXT 3 software platform was the first product to allow the peer-to-peer content networking for businesses.
Technology changes, and Pelo's had his eye on the future. Recently, NextPage acquired netLens, a Silicon Valley-based company that will play a vital role in the development of a next-generation platform for peer-to-peer content networking.
That platform will give workers, partners and others access to the information they need to do their jobs on a variety of devices, including cell phones and handheld computers.
- Looming chocolate drought may leave some...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- A GDP showdown: How do state GDP numbers line...
- The unstoppable powerhouse of Disney's Frozen
- Santa Claus is coming to City Creek
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops among...
- Robots will replace 50% of today's...
- Could Facebook at Work create more...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 44
- Japan slides into recession as tax hike... 14
- Robots will replace 50% of today's... 13
- Imbibing in Utah grows with population,... 7
- White House: Immigration steps would... 6
- 'Red warning lights' flashing for... 5
- Millennials are quitting their jobs and... 5
- What's next for dead malls? 5