Douglas Porter Walton, 97, our wonderful "Opa-dad" passed away peacefully in his home on April 25, 2000.
He was born March 12, 1903 to Fredrick W. and Mary Emma Porter Walton, Centerville, Utah. He married Dora Norton, September 2, 1933. The marriage was solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple. She died January 26, 1974. He later married Stella Stringham Axelson March 10, 1979. Attended schools in Davis County and graduated from LDS High School. He served a three year LDS mission to Germany and remained a devoted member of the LDS Church all of his life. He loved the Savior and lived the life of a disciple.He spent more than 60 years in the family-owned wholesale nursery business, the Porter Walton Co. He was a lifetime member of the Utah Nurseryman's Association and was a nursery consultant to government agencies, businesses and Temple Square. He loved the beauty of the earth, with its trees, shrubs and flowers. But, above all, he loved his family and friends. His strong arms and big heart embraced us all. Kindness was his trademark.
He is survived by his loving wife, Stella; his children, Roger (Sherry) Walton, California; Steven (Ursula) Walton, Illinois; Margaret (Philip) Pugsley, Salt Lake City; Kathryn (Brent) Yeates, Virginia; 20 grandchildren; 27 great-grandchildren. He is also survived by Stories children who have loved him as a father and grandfather, Pat (Chad) Fisher and Karly Axelson, both of Salt Lake City; eight grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; three great great-grandchildren.
The family expresses deep appreciation for the loving kindness of a group of remarkable caregivers, Katherine Enzinger, Ron Rigby, Jill McGavin (grandchild), Jessica Smith, Verlean Brewster, Jenny and Ted Witker, and grandchildren.
Services will be held on Saturday, April 29, 2000 at 12 noon in the Valley View 6th Ward Chapel, 2000 East 3900 South, Salt Lake City. Friends may call from 10:30 - 11:45 a.m. prior to the services, at the church. Burial in the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park, 3401 So. Highland Drive.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Draper police step in for Santa after home is...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9