HYRUM, Cache County At least 10 students were injured Thursday morning in an explosion in a science class at South Cache Center in Hyrum.
As of press time, school administrators were still trying to figure out exactly what happened.
Cache School District spokesman Kirk McRae said just after 10 a.m. there was a small explosion in one of the science rooms, possibly caused by some sort of chemical reaction.
At least 10 students and two teachers were being taken by ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital for injuries, mostly cuts caused by flying glass, said McRae.
Paramedics and the superintendent were at the school almost immediately following the accident, McRae said.
All of the 30 students in the class would eventually be taken to the hospital just to get checked out, said McRae.
All of the school's 1,100 students were sent home shortly after the accident.
South Cache has only eighth- and ninth-grade students.
Shane Hone, spokesman for the hospital, said they were expecting to treat 33 people.
As of 11 a.m., Hone said seven students had been treated for multiple cuts.
None of the injuries were life threatening, he said.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22