ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) Inmate Brian McCluskey almost found heaven at the Purgatory Correctional Facility. He thought a bag of M&Ms he earned for helping with chores at the jail was a winner in a million-dollar national contest.
But McCluskey was only a first-place winner instead of a grand prize winner, meaning he apparently will receive a coupon for a free 16 oz. bag of M&Ms instead of the $1 million.
A spokeswoman for M&M Mars confirmed Wednesday that another person had been verified as the grand prize winner, meaning if McCluskey does have a winning bag, it's only redeemable for the free candies.
McCluskey is serving a one-year jail sentence for attempted possession of methamphetamine.
The rumor of McCluskey's good fortune spurred a national news frenzy, with Deputy Julie Pugmire appearing on NBC's "Today Show."
Pugmire gave the candy to McCluskey as a reward for helping her pass out commissary items.
When he opened the bag Friday, the 27-year-old found candies that were sky blue, white, purple colors he'd never seen before. Other inmates told him he might have won M&Ms' "Fix-Up the Mix-Up" contest, which they had seen advertised on television.
Pat D'Amato, a spokeswoman for the candy company, based in Hackettstown, N.J., said a family of four had been verified as the million-dollar winners.
She said they asked not to be identified, even by where they live. They purchased the candies at a Kmart store and plan to use the money to remodel their home and finance their children's' college education.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 21
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13