ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) Inmate Brian McCluskey almost found heaven at the Purgatory Correctional Facility. He thought a bag of M&Ms he earned for helping with chores at the jail was a winner in a million-dollar national contest.
But McCluskey was only a first-place winner instead of a grand prize winner, meaning he apparently will receive a coupon for a free 16 oz. bag of M&Ms instead of the $1 million.
A spokeswoman for M&M Mars confirmed Wednesday that another person had been verified as the grand prize winner, meaning if McCluskey does have a winning bag, it's only redeemable for the free candies.
McCluskey is serving a one-year jail sentence for attempted possession of methamphetamine.
The rumor of McCluskey's good fortune spurred a national news frenzy, with Deputy Julie Pugmire appearing on NBC's "Today Show."
Pugmire gave the candy to McCluskey as a reward for helping her pass out commissary items.
When he opened the bag Friday, the 27-year-old found candies that were sky blue, white, purple colors he'd never seen before. Other inmates told him he might have won M&Ms' "Fix-Up the Mix-Up" contest, which they had seen advertised on television.
Pat D'Amato, a spokeswoman for the candy company, based in Hackettstown, N.J., said a family of four had been verified as the million-dollar winners.
She said they asked not to be identified, even by where they live. They purchased the candies at a Kmart store and plan to use the money to remodel their home and finance their children's' college education.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 37
- School leaders look for solutions to... 24
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12