ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) Inmate Brian McCluskey almost found heaven at the Purgatory Correctional Facility. He thought a bag of M&Ms he earned for helping with chores at the jail was a winner in a million-dollar national contest.
But McCluskey was only a first-place winner instead of a grand prize winner, meaning he apparently will receive a coupon for a free 16 oz. bag of M&Ms instead of the $1 million.
A spokeswoman for M&M Mars confirmed Wednesday that another person had been verified as the grand prize winner, meaning if McCluskey does have a winning bag, it's only redeemable for the free candies.
McCluskey is serving a one-year jail sentence for attempted possession of methamphetamine.
The rumor of McCluskey's good fortune spurred a national news frenzy, with Deputy Julie Pugmire appearing on NBC's "Today Show."
Pugmire gave the candy to McCluskey as a reward for helping her pass out commissary items.
When he opened the bag Friday, the 27-year-old found candies that were sky blue, white, purple colors he'd never seen before. Other inmates told him he might have won M&Ms' "Fix-Up the Mix-Up" contest, which they had seen advertised on television.
Pat D'Amato, a spokeswoman for the candy company, based in Hackettstown, N.J., said a family of four had been verified as the million-dollar winners.
She said they asked not to be identified, even by where they live. They purchased the candies at a Kmart store and plan to use the money to remodel their home and finance their children's' college education.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17