Alvaro Barrientos, AP
Three games in three days. Check.
Completing a scenario he won’t face during the Chicago Bulls’ 2014-15 regular season, Derrick Rose finished with four points, four rebounds and four assists in USA Basketball’s 95-71 victory over Ukraine on Thursday.
Team USA, which already had clinched the top seed in Pool C, concluded preliminary-round play with a 5-0 mark. It advances to single elimination in the round of 16 vs. Mexico in Barcelona beginning Saturday.
Rose logged 18 minutes, 32 seconds and again shot poorly at 2-for-9. That included an errant attempt on his lone 3-point try. He committed zero turnovers.
Rose has struggled to finish at the rim in this tournament, though he did have one nice crossover and scoop layup in traffic against Ukraine.
Starting point guard Kyrie Irving landed hard on his hip during a late drive. Though there was no immediate word on his status, Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said during the training stop in Chicago that he’d have no hesitation starting Rose if needed.
Irving told reporters after the game that the landing looked worse than it was.
“I’m fine,” Irving said, adding there is no doubt that he will continue to play in the tournament.
©2014 Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 80
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 17
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 15
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12