Alvaro Barrientos, AP
Three games in three days. Check.
Completing a scenario he won’t face during the Chicago Bulls’ 2014-15 regular season, Derrick Rose finished with four points, four rebounds and four assists in USA Basketball’s 95-71 victory over Ukraine on Thursday.
Team USA, which already had clinched the top seed in Pool C, concluded preliminary-round play with a 5-0 mark. It advances to single elimination in the round of 16 vs. Mexico in Barcelona beginning Saturday.
Rose logged 18 minutes, 32 seconds and again shot poorly at 2-for-9. That included an errant attempt on his lone 3-point try. He committed zero turnovers.
Rose has struggled to finish at the rim in this tournament, though he did have one nice crossover and scoop layup in traffic against Ukraine.
Starting point guard Kyrie Irving landed hard on his hip during a late drive. Though there was no immediate word on his status, Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said during the training stop in Chicago that he’d have no hesitation starting Rose if needed.
Irving told reporters after the game that the landing looked worse than it was.
“I’m fine,” Irving said, adding there is no doubt that he will continue to play in the tournament.
©2014 Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 31
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25