Alvaro Barrientos, AP
Three games in three days. Check.
Completing a scenario he won’t face during the Chicago Bulls’ 2014-15 regular season, Derrick Rose finished with four points, four rebounds and four assists in USA Basketball’s 95-71 victory over Ukraine on Thursday.
Team USA, which already had clinched the top seed in Pool C, concluded preliminary-round play with a 5-0 mark. It advances to single elimination in the round of 16 vs. Mexico in Barcelona beginning Saturday.
Rose logged 18 minutes, 32 seconds and again shot poorly at 2-for-9. That included an errant attempt on his lone 3-point try. He committed zero turnovers.
Rose has struggled to finish at the rim in this tournament, though he did have one nice crossover and scoop layup in traffic against Ukraine.
Starting point guard Kyrie Irving landed hard on his hip during a late drive. Though there was no immediate word on his status, Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said during the training stop in Chicago that he’d have no hesitation starting Rose if needed.
Irving told reporters after the game that the landing looked worse than it was.
“I’m fine,” Irving said, adding there is no doubt that he will continue to play in the tournament.
©2014 Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn, 30-13,...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- Utah high school football roundup: Frantic...
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage in...
- BYU football video: Two plays that shifted...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- Guest commentary: Utah's success and... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20
- BYU's pregame fireside gets Michigan... 19