CHICAGO (AP) — U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann selected 10 players from the World Cup squad to play against the Czech Republic next Wednesday.
Such stars as Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley were not on the roster as Klinsmann chose a mixture of youngsters and veterans to Prague. Howard is taking a one-year-sabbatical from the national team.
It will be the first game for the U.S. since losing 2-1 to Belgium in the second round of the World Cup.
Players who represented the United States in Brazil and were chosen Thursday by Klinsmann are goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando; defenders John Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Tim Chandler and Fabian Johnson; midfielders Alejandro Bedoya, Mix Diskerud and Julian Green; and forward Jozy Altidore.
"We look at this as the start of our project toward Russia in 2018," Klinsmann said of the next World Cup, "and in this first step we get to look at many of our talented young players based in Europe. We have some great youngsters coming through the ranks that are starting to break through with their clubs teams and are ready to challenge for spots on the senior team. And even most of our World Cup veterans from Brazil on this roster will be coming into the prime of their careers in the next four years, so this is an exciting opportunity."
Altidore is the most experienced player in the squad with 71 caps. Five players have never played for the senior national team: goalkeeper Cody Cropper, defender Greg Garza, midfielder Emerson Hyndman, forwards Joe Gyau and Rubio Rubin.
Goalkeepers: Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake);
Defenders : John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton)
Midfielders : Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)
Forwards : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich).
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 73
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 71
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31