Sylvia Hui, Associated Press
ROTHERHAM, England — Members of Britain's Pakistani community reacted with outrage Wednesday amid reports that officials failed to act on sex abuse cases because of concerns about racism in the northern English town of Rotherham.
Muhbeen Hussain, founder of Rotherham Muslim Youth Group, told the Daily Mirror on Wednesday that Muslims are disgusted that justice was not done — leading to some 1,400 children being sexually exploited over a 16-year period, mostly by Pakistani men.
"Race, religion or political correctness should never provide a cloak of invisibility to such grotesque crimes."
Report author Alexis Jay cited appalling acts of violence between 1997 and 2013 in the town of some 250,000. Charities that deal with abused children have expressed shock not just at the number of victims and by the apparent reluctance of authorities to address the question that people of Pakistani heritage were involved for fear they would be labeled racists.
Barnardo's, a charity that works with vulnerable children, unilaterally condemned the abuse that left so many to suffer for so long.
"No one should ever be frightened to act decisively because of fear of being seen as racist or politically incorrect," said Barnardo's chief executive, Javed Khan.
Britain's Labour Party called for the resignation of the police commissioner in the town, a member of its own ranks, after the report found that "collective failures," led to inaction.
But Jay said Rotherham is not the only place in Britain struggling with this issue. She told the BBC that "demand for this kind of sexual activity with children is on the increase and that is validated across not just the UK but Europe and worldwide."
"We can't say that Rotherham is any better or worse than other places because the information simply doesn't exist at a national level to tell us that," she said.
- Photos: Celebrating 25 years of spectacular...
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big, new U....
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Native American actors walk off set of Adam...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Jaws meets kangaroo? Rare, cute pocket shark...
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- Same-sex marriage opponents urge... 36
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 28
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 25
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 24
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 20
- Longtime Marco Rubio-Jeb Bush alliance... 13
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 12