Scott G Winterton, Deseret News,
KINKADE WILDMAN, Logan, football: It wasn't the most efficient performance ever, but Logan's senior quarterback sure made the big plays when he needed to last Friday in a 42-16 victory over Bear River.
Wildman completed 16 of 39 passes for 386 yards and three touchdowns, and rushed for 51 yards and a score, as the Grizzlies overcame a 16-14 deficit early in the third quarter.
Wildman's 74-yard touchdown pass to Chad Artist in the third quarter effectively put the game out of reach for Bear River.
Friday was actually Wildman's second-career start at QB. Because of a suspension to Logan's QB in the 4A quarterfinals last season, Wildman got the starting nod against Olympus and completed 22 of 36 for 260 yards, three TDs but a frustrating four interceptions.
CAMERON TUCKER, Lone Peak, girls soccer: The top-ranked Knights are off to a perfect 4-0-0 start to the 2014 season and the play of this sophomore striker is definitely a big reason why.
Tucker has scored three goals this season, including two game-winners last week against stout competition.
Her first-half goal against Davis last Tuesday was the only goal in a 1-0 victory, and then last Thursday she scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in a 3-2 victory over Maple Mountain.
Big things are expected of the Knights this year, and big reason why is finishing. A year ago coach Heather Dahl's team created the chances but struggled to finish them. Tucker is helping change that with two very timely goals already this season.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 96
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 54
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33